Make a donation

Author Topic: so the ring taxi could be no more!!  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
so the ring taxi could be no more!!
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:54:56 pm »
http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=167:bmw-ring-taxi-end-of-the-line&catid=1:news&Itemid=300053

Spoken rumours of the Nürburgring BMW 'Ring Taxi's imminent demise appear to be coming true. An email released by the company who ran the Ring Taxi confirms they're not running it this year. That company is OK Speed Marketing, and the 'Ring Taxi' name is theirs.

Nürburgring management have also removed all offers relating to taxi rides from the official website.

Like us 'normal' businesses OK Speed Marketing will be running their taxi laps in the VLN practice on Friday afternoons throughout summer. And their prices of €349 per customer certainly suggest no more manufacturer funding to soften the blow on a customer's wallet.

News of the Ring Taxi's demise will be a massive blow for fans all over the world. Fans of BMW, fans of Sabine and fans of the Nurburgring alike will all be sad to see the legacy come to an end.

At only €189 per car load (upto 3 people) it was just too good a deal to miss. The cost of drifting a brand-new BMW M5, 4-up around the Nordschleife with a celebrity driver is most certainly a little more than the post-tax €158.82 cover price!

No news on what (if anything) is being lined up to replace it. Nurburgring have half-heartedly run their own taxi service sporadically, using the talents of Andy Gülden in anything from a crappy Passat B36 through to the Aston N24. (Andy was also the No.1 Viper pilot for those of you who can remember the 'good old days'...).

I personally don't know what might have put an end to this fantastic service, but I would suggest any or all of the following factors could have played a part in killing it off:

It probably doesn't make BMW any profit. OK Speed Marketing ran it as a business on behalf of BMW. They had to make money, but the retail price suggests that after they had made a profit, somebody else must have made a loss.
The new 'ring management, for better or for worse, have a 'bottom-line' this year and any service needs to pay its own way in license fees.
Automotive marketing budgets have been slashed across the board for a while

the company that took over the ring are shafting every business around there

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: so the ring taxi could be no more!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 05:02:36 pm »
There are a few pieces in various magazines this month too. One gave opposing accounts from both Lindner and Sabine, showing just how the rift has opened up this year and another in Redline magazine launching a "save the ring" campaign on their website. :smiley:
Golf R gone.