Make a donation

Author Topic: Best time of year to buy winter tyres?  (Read 7312 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Best time of year to buy winter tyres?
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:49:55 am »
I figured it would be best to try and buy them in summer before prices go up, but is there any stock usually in summer of say Vredesteins or do you have to wait until say September?

If prices are likely to be low now as we come out of winter will buy now and stick in garage till Nov.

Thanks.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline parks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
  • Red ED30 No. 1778 Detailing World member
Re: Best time of year to buy winter tyres?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:19 am »
I had thought about this too. Get some while they're cheaper. Maybe wait till mid summer?
Standard: Rear parking sensors, Parrot Bluetooth
Retro fitted: MFSW buttons, RCD510, Boot pop, Black Monza II, Xenons, Audi jacking points, open fog light grills.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:56:13 am »
what size winter  tyres are you after

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4sn9m1rfhn86n4p4o6s8d131r5&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:58:15 am »
Andy you have PM mate!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:59:33 am »
try mytyres.co.uk
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:01:38 pm by maxitrol »

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:25:19 pm »
what size winter  tyres are you after

225/40/18 for Ed30 going to use my detroits as winter wheels and sell my zenith II off the octavia vrs (although they do look rather good on a golf)

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:28:46 pm »
id suggest trying to buy them in sept. Tyre depots probably wont be restocking on winter tyres until then

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:31:40 pm »
id suggest trying to buy them in sept. Tyre depots probably wont be restocking on winter tyres until then

yeah thats what i thought maybe, camskill have some vredestein wintrac but not sure if will be cheaper in sept or not :confused:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:40:39 pm »
yes they probably will be mate

Offline Kings

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 03:22:12 pm »
If you can get them now whilst available I would say go for it.
If the tyres are in short supply like they were at the beginning of winter then the prices are going to increase - Supply & Demand.

I have a feeling the UK will be overstocked with winter tyres this coming winter:
Most people who really wanted winter tyres managed to get hold of them via dealer in this country or the internet, ordering direct from Germany (My Tyres etc).
Most people who bought them end of last year won't need to replace their winter tyres this winter (I have just put my summer wheels back on and my winter tyres still have 6mm & 7mm of tread remaining after about 6k miles so I have at least another winter in them.
Due to the unprecidented demand & bad press the tyre companies got, there will be a larger alocation to the UK, and
because of the demand most tyre wholesalers & large fast fit type depots will stock up trying to cash in.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »
^^^ as above the winter tyres nearly doubled in price last winter and this winter i think they will go up again

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:27:56 pm »
Last year I did a bit of research on winter tyres as I fancied getting a set for her Mk5 TDi.
We were 'expecting' and with baby due in November thought we'd be prepared.

I read EVO mag and they've been mentioning winter tyres for the last couple of years, then running Pirelli Sottozeros on a Jag XFR (RWD and 500hp.)
After a long look at the ADAC winter tyres test etc, decided on Conti WinterContact 830P tyres and had a good chat with my local dealer who did me a internet matching price for them fitted on the car.
I ended up paying £170 per corner for new 2010 stock. Size 225/40/18.

My tyre dealer told me that tyre manufacturers don't make winter stock all year round. They make them only in the run up to winter and that the UK is the poor relation to mainland Europe where legislation dictates their use. Very low % of people run them here.

The tyres were ordered 1st October, a special order from Continental and 3 weeks later they arrived.
I got them on the car and was well prepared for the snow that hit in November.
They are fab. I now know that winter tyres are the best money you can spend on a car through the winter months and we'll be getting another set of winters for my car this year.

From what I could gather all stock available during the summer months may be last years stock if there is any about.
I wanted to get freshly made ones, so hence the request for 2010 stock.
So if you can get hold of them then pick them up, but you may find that not many places have supply.

And remember that people have very short memories so I don't think in Sept/Oct there will be a huge demand and the tyres will be at their lowest price point hopefully. Around mid Sept I'd say is the time to make that purchase, when companies are gearing up production.

Our winters are still on the car, I'm using the clock change as my guide, so until BST starts last weekend of March.