Make a donation

Author Topic: Thanks to Brake God DaveB :)  (Read 13561 times)

Offline Poppa Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Re: Thanks to Brake God DaveB :)
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 10:39:25 am »
Classy  :signLOL:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 10:19:44 am »
unfortuantey once you have driven a Golf R or S3 with the larger set up you realise how poor the stock ones are, the issue i have is they are not at all progressive especially when you are in the passensgers seat

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 10:27:32 am »

unfortuantey once you have driven a Golf R or S3 with the larger set up you realise how poor the stock ones are, the issue i have is they are not at all progressive especially when you are in the passensgers seat

....You sound as if you've been on the piss, Andy  :grin: - You really shouldn't use the brakes when you're sat in the passenger seat (front or back?) even if your legs are all bendy from enjoying alcohol.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 10:31:35 am »
Subscribed... this thread is funny!  :signLOL:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 10:35:32 am »

Subscribed... this thread is funny!  :signLOL:

....Pretty much guaranteed to be a laugh when you see who all the current subscribers are!  :laugh:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 10:38:46 am »
Im a bit confused by the "Stage one on my Edition 30 ruined it" comment  :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 11:09:40 am »

Im a bit confused by the "Stage one on my Edition 30 ruined it" comment  :confused:

....I think that was said by QD and maybe in a different thread. I don't understand it either but as both he and I and others say, ETTO.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »

....I think that was said by QD and maybe in a different thread. I don't understand it either but as both he and I and others say, ETTO.

Off topic, me thinks.

But as has been said a few times recently, by quite a few members - 'I was surprised how good the standard Gti was'  The SC mapping was dire, IMO.  Nothing before 3k, then all hell breaks loose, made for a poor performing and ill mannered car.

Ed30 with decent brakes, and LSD made for a cracking really potent car.  Improvements as listed cost £1500 and meant I could use all the horses I had.  Power is nothing without control...............  still had 230 eager ponies!  Hence my belief that It didn't need mapping. 

Saint Steve

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 09:26:58 pm »
Was it the correct transmission type map sent dave?, My "manual" superchips  map was pants on stage 1 for my dsg car, similar to what your describing? .

just a thought :smiley:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:26 pm »
Was it the correct transmission type map sent dave?, My "manual" superchips  map was pants on stage 1 for my dsg car, similar to what your describing? .

just a thought :smiley:

We tried SC 3 maps on her, and yes it was a Manual map.  Still bit late now......... :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 09:35:47 pm »

Off topic, me thinks.

But as has been said a few times recently, by quite a few members - 'I was surprised how good the standard Gti was'  The SC mapping was dire, IMO.  Nothing before 3k, then all hell breaks loose, made for a poor performing and ill mannered car.

Ed30 with decent brakes, and LSD made for a cracking really potent car.  Improvements as listed cost £1500 and meant I could use all the horses I had.  Power is nothing without control...............  still had 230 eager ponies!  Hence my belief that It didn't need mapping. 

....Ah, now I understand, Dave. Thanks for the detail  :happy2:. I think you were right.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 10:13:11 pm »
The standard Ed30/GTI brakes are wholly inadequate even on the standard car let alone a mapped one.  :scared:
I've been saying that from the second day I bought my ED30. Kept getting shot down for it too. At anything below 50mph, they're awesome but can be quite scary on the motorway if you have to brake suddenly. Hate that back end twitch.

....Might that not have been because we were in convoy and I didn't know the route and was following the car in front who indicated late?
:grin: Probably. I guess it's an issue with having convoys and trying to work out what the guy in front is doing/where they're going rather than acting as you normally would when on your own.

I usually am in the conscious habit of using my indicator even when changing lane and no other vehicles near me. That 5-flash feature which the GTI has is great.
3-flashes and it's a lane-change indicator.

My driving style reputation is at stake here in this thread it seems.  :grin:
We all know that despite your age, you probably are a far better driver than most of us. Especially with those expensive driving courses you seem to do.  :driver:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.