Make a donation

Author Topic: Eibach coilovers vs springs  (Read 15944 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Eibach coilovers vs springs
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 05:57:51 pm »
Have you considered looking into gaz shocks? I've only heard rave reviews about them regardless of what vehicle their fitted to.
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 06:07:03 pm »
your not havin mine :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2009, 08:02:15 pm »
....All three with excellent reputations. The best of all is probably Bilstein, but they cost more! And if you don't do track, probably overkill.

i think all coilovers with adjustable damping are a lil over kill if not going on the track.

....I don't agree. The point of having adjustability is that you can set up your suspension more accurately (or get a professional to do it for you, as I am doing) for Fast Road use. Also you have the option for a different setup for occasional trackdays if you want.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2009, 08:15:31 pm »
I agree RR, if you have the funds and time to get someone to set it up for you that is great , but not everybody does so they have to make a compromise that will work in both cases :smiley:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:34 pm »
i ve been looking at a koni kit , strt and ssk any one got these ?

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2009, 09:37:06 pm »
I have heard they are a little harsh

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2009, 12:02:26 am »
in my humble opinion guys we are driving cars that cost circa 20,000 why replace vital parts with something really cheap it doesn't make sense. if you cant afford quality replacements then just leave it stock or just do the springs.
If you where about to run a marathon you would not buy yourself a pair of adiddas 4 stripe would you. :chicken:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2009, 12:08:50 am »
^^^^
Good point, TC!

Mark at VWR was telling me today that VW put a heck of a lot of care and effort in designing their components and there is so much on the Mk5 GTI platform that doesn't necessarily need replacing. When you consider how hard the race cars are driven and how well the components stand up, that's a very real test!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

matt a

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:08 am »
I agree with others, if you can't afford to replace the suspension with a quality and proven manufacturer, don't bother. TBH I'd think carefully about the just springs approach, as dependending on which springs and drop you choose, it can in the long term damage the oem struts.

I opted for Eibach coilovers at around 750 fitted, which are produced by KW.

Offline P4ulo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2011, 11:37:41 pm »
Have you considered looking into gaz shocks? I've only heard rave reviews about them regardless of what vehicle their fitted to.

GAZ are absolute tops,
I've bought them in the past and "when" I buy the family mk5 I will definately be investing in some Gaz Gold coilovers.
Amazing build quality.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2011, 11:45:13 pm »

GAZ are absolute tops,
I've bought them in the past and "when" I buy the family mk5 I will definately be investing in some Gaz Gold coilovers.
Amazing build quality.

Necropost FTMFW!!!!

Just messing dude, how long til you get a MK5?

golfecho5

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2011, 12:19:25 am »
Hello All, if I can just chip in... :smiley:

Just about to fit Eibach (Sachs) Pro Dampers and Pro kit springs (basically the standard but a bit better as Re-valved by Sachs Performance), due to my car not being raced/tracked and I'm not trying to knock seconds off my lap times so this suits my pocket and taste and I don't have to set them up!.
It's all about what you want from your car and how much money you have and want to spend on moding.
My car has high motorway mileage but I know this will improve the car and offer a slightly better than standard look and performance without giving up the comfort when on a long run - as one of you guys said the standard kit on the GTi is pretty bloody good - go too far and you forego all the millions of Euros these VW chaps spent developing the car in the first place, weight/balance/road conditions and body dynamics. If you want to go hard core then that's a different ball game and price.
I went for Eibach Pro Dampers for £180 (changing stock price) normally £450 (but look around, you can get them cheap) and Pro kit springs for £132, a good price to bring the car upto scratch and a bit more, especially if you have a few loose bushes (ooh err).
If these prices on the Pro Dampers can't be found then it's worth looking at GSF who sell all OE Sachs dampers for the GTi at £44+vat which you can match very neatly with a Pro or for a bigger drop the Sportline spring. Here's a link http://performance-suspension.eibach.de/cms/performance_guide

Be sure not to ruin your car, i've put cheap (look fancy) systems on previous cars and regretted it. If you're going to go for it then get close to KW topend ClubSport or the like or forget it, you will ruin your handling or worse. Remember also that if you go for top kit you will need a professional to set the baby up.
I would to set up my R1 Yamaha for track, road that suited me, my weight and style of riding (with professional advice) but forget 4 corners for the road and track - you gotta be a genius to do that, or more to the point you'd need a stretch of road you can run backwards and forwards all day whilst changing small increments on rebound, damping and spring rate whilst trying to give feedback through a chassis that was built for old people who want to go to the shops, laughable in motorsport terms unless you start strengthening the chassis. Bikes have chassis that are set up for racing, not Grannies and you can tell the small inputs made on rebound and damping but I would struggle to give any feedback on a standard Golf chassis over and above - that feels a bit better. You also have to then add to this what tyre you're using... bit much for someone who wants to go round a roundabout faster!

If ya car's for track mostly then, again, different ball game.

Hope this adds to the chat chaps

PS, I run a 2005 Gti car with stuff done that I've had from new and I can't sell it. Love it too much.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:46:36 am by golfecho5 »

golfecho5

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2011, 12:37:13 am »
Oh, forgot to say that don't underestimate the standard set-up of dampers and springs... it wasn't that long ago that EVO magazine used a standard MK5 gti on a photo shoot with a Lambo amongst other Supercars and found that the support car (Mk5 Golf Gti) was very hard to get away from on anything other than a long straight, high praise indeed I think you'll all agree.
 :jumping:

golfecho5

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2011, 01:40:44 am »
 :booty:Just changed the rear HUB/BEARING today if anyone needs advice, real simple job but tough to get ya head round doing it. Just shout up if you need advice as I got some VW advice before attempting.
Did discs/pads and brake fluid flush too if ya need help on that. :notworthy:

Offline P4ulo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2011, 11:41:54 pm »

GAZ are absolute tops,
Amazing build quality.

Necropost FTMFW!!!!

Just messing dude, how long til you get a MK5?

No worries mate.
Dunno. Gotta sell the wife's mk4 and sort some cash out.....end of summer I think,
but I'm already getting excited!!