Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI- LPG/Autogas conversion- is this wise?  (Read 10627 times)

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
GTI- LPG/Autogas conversion- is this wise?
« on: March 12, 2011, 05:49:41 pm »
Hi all, I was talking to a guy who is a mechanic and he said that I should think about doing the above conversion. He said the outlay is not huge and there is a switch that allows you to use petrol as well. Gas can be used for the long journeys. I dont know much about this so was wondering has anyone done this and what are your thoughts in general on this? Thanks for any input

Offline blackmagic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
Re: GTI- LPG/Autogas conversion- is this wise?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:56:46 pm »
Not sure you can do a gas conversion on a direct injection engine. We have quite a few gas cars as work but can only be done on the older petrol engines. They may well have developed a kit by now though. I'll ask next time I pop in and see the company that services them.

Black GTI K03 Revo Stage 2+,

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:03:58 pm »
Why would you do it? Just for fuel economy? - But how does that effect performance? Wouldn't you need to sacrifice some of your boot and load space? Not allowed on Eurotunnel either and other places in Europe probably  :sad1:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:20:16 pm »
Hi, thanks Black magic that would be good if you could do that, info would be v useful.

Redrobin- yes for fuel economy. Its not meant to affect performance say the companys who do the conversion however some people who have done it on their cars notice a slight affect on performance, ie 10bhp less. Yes some boot space would be used but on plus side there is a switch which lets you go back to the petrol. Like BM said though GTI may not be suitable. Am going to contact a company in Glasgow and see what they have to say. Will let you all know my findings.

Offline calculon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 06:25:10 pm »
Vialle & Prins are 2 big players overhere. They did some testing on TFSI engines and did not (commericaly) go on with it. Due to cooling you still need 25% petrol injection (ecu doesn't like this and creates lots and lots of errors). Besides that, engine wear increased a lot. Don't put your GTI on lpg/lpi.

-edit-
Did some further research, R32 is no issue. They offer a kit for the more recent TSI engine, but not for the TFSI one. Anyway, unless you have an R32, stay clear!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:30:01 pm by calculon »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:26:48 pm »
its something i looked into.  I believe it is possible.  A tank can also be installed in the spare wheel well.  Im not sure how well it would work with a remap though.  Jabbasport have done a few conversions and mapped them as well iirc.  I think if you are keeping your car for a prolonged period and do galactic mileage its a worthwhile mod.  It wasnt worth it for me tbh, i change cars every 1-3 years dependant how much i like it and dont really do that much mileage as i cycle to work

Offline s4lek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 01:57:16 am »
Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole(again),  I had my passat 2005 v6 4motion converted to
LPG.  It was more trouble than it's worth. I spent nearly 2k on the high spec prins system. Economy wise, there wasn't much difference, for every full tank of LPG I  used about 15-20litres Petrol, I did all the research Before hand and it seemed like a great idea. Oh and it only reduced by road tax 20 quid. 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:13:59 am »

Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole(again),  I had my passat 2005 v6 4motion converted to
LPG.  It was more trouble than it's worth. I spent nearly 2k on the high spec prins system. Economy wise, there wasn't much difference, for every full tank of LPG I  used about 15-20litres Petrol, I did all the research Before hand and it seemed like a great idea. Oh and it only reduced by road tax 20 quid. 

....Useful to read some first hand experience  :happy2:

I wonder what the LPG Ford running in the BTCC series is all about.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 05:49:23 pm »
slightly different car but mate of mine had his fiesta done and kept blowing plastic inlet manifold the comp. who did it had to have a cast manifold made to solve the problem it was never right he got shot soon after