Make a donation

Author Topic: conservatory electrics  (Read 4424 times)

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
conservatory electrics
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:59 am »
Hi need to pick your brains on the the subject as titled above,

I'm having a conservatory built and need to know the best and right way to wire up two lights and maybe 4 double sockets, btw its going to be 600mm brick face inside and out dwarf wall all round but one side a 3/4 the other side.

I've read you can't put cable in the cavity wall, don't want truncking exposed on the wall face either and its a part P job not diy?

Any info would be great. :happy2:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: conservatory electrics
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:07:46 am »
We had ours done a couple of years ago & i'm shure the cabels etc were just ran through trunking in the cavity wall. :wink: Get them to add a TV point as well.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:36:12 am by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:11:44 am »
So by either truncking or conduit the cable will be fine then,any sparkys here that can verify advise. :grin:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:18:04 am »
Get them to put some electric windows in the roof too! ;)

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:19:30 am »
Yes it will need to comply with Part P but if its not a new circuit then it will be minor works ( spuring off/extending ring circuit from adjoining room).

You also need to upgrade your main earthing conductor and or protective device if it hasn't already been done.

Standard T+E cable in plastic conduit or SWA cable is fine but I like to use Pirelli FP cable as its much easier to terminate.

Are you intending to do this yourself????
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

hugh jass

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:21:11 am »
We dont have a ceiling light and use lamps.2 double sockets fitted above skirting so you have somewhere to hide the cables

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 11:23:27 am »
We dont have a ceiling light and use lamps.2 double sockets fitted above skirting so you have somewhere to hide the cables

Are you saying the cables run behind the skirting???  :confused:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:27:57 am »
JPC, having those wide opening bi-fold doors aprox 3.6m opening so that would vent some heat out, had a look at those too.

apollo13, Yes it will be an extension circuit from the living room, so placing cable in conduit/ SWA cable will suffice then and still notifable?

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:38:13 am »
Yes it will need to comply with Part P but if its not a new circuit then it will be minor works ( spuring off/extending ring circuit from adjoining room).

You also need to upgrade your main earthing conductor and or protective device if it hasn't already been done.

Standard T+E cable in plastic conduit or SWA cable is fine but I like to use Pirelli FP cable as its much easier to terminate.

Are you intending to do this yourself????
.............just had a look in ours & ''yes'' thats what they did with ours. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:39:47 am »
If its an extension from an existing circuit in the house then it doesnt need to be notified BUT that is only if the main earthing is up to currrent regs and you have RCD protection on the circuit your are extending.

Also most people use the building of a conservatory to add an outside socket/lighting which then makes the job notifiable aswell.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 11:40:15 am »
The groundworks and walls are getting built by my builder but the conservatory I'm putting up with a mate .

Don't get me wrong but this Part P biz is such a pain in the A, had a read of it earlier just gets confusing more you read it and anyway why do they allow the DIY stores to sell all electrical items when you can't really DIY it!

Sorry for the rant.....rant over for now! :mad: :mad:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:46:40 am by gtlee »

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 11:52:45 am »
I'd get help from a local sparks mate.

Even if you extend an existing circuit how do you know the circuit your extending is safe to extend???  :rolleye:

To be honest most people sod the regs and do it themselves regardless but being a sparks myself I need to help give you the right info.

Safety is the most important thing here..

The DIY stores sell stuff because you are allowed to replace like for like in SOME certain locations such as bedrooms, lounge ect.

But I don't agree with them selling C.U's (fuseboxes) and meter tails ect.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:12:24 pm by apollo13 »

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 12:12:00 pm »
apollo13;  Cheers for the advise I'm gonna get a sparky to have alook at and connect up and do it legit. :happy2: :happy2:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 12:13:25 pm »
No worries  :happy2:

Where are you on our lovely island?

hugh jass

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 12:23:21 pm »

Are you saying the cables run behind the skirting???  :confused:
Yes hidden out of sight.  The electrician cut a groove the length of the skirting so it fits flush to the wall