Make a donation

Author Topic: conservatory electrics  (Read 4426 times)

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: conservatory electrics
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 12:37:19 pm »
Running cables horizontally behind skirting boards is a NO NO.

This is not a defined 'safe zone'.  :fighting:

Did he tie his horse up outside while he did the work?  :grin:

Unless I have read this wrong and the cables go down from the socket behind the skirting board into the floor void? or down into conduit embedded in a solid floor?

In these cases thats fine as the cables are run in a 'safe zone' but if he has run the cables HORIZONTALLY behind the skirting then :surprised:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:42:17 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »
No worries  :happy2:

Where are you on our lovely island?

Down in sunny Herts
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 01:55:24 pm »
Its a bit far from me and I don't know anyone up that way.

Just make sure you use somone registered with ELECSA, NAPIT or the NICEIC  :happy2:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 03:01:32 pm »
if the cable is buried it must be mechanically protected or the circuit protected by an RCD.  Me personally i would do both.

get a proper Spark in as well, not some kitchen fitter/part time sparky.  All Part P does is show that someone knows how to read the contents page of the Part P guides and building regs it doesnt make them any better, and remember most of them were bodgers before they did the Part P course

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 04:28:14 pm »
All Part P does is show that someone knows how to read the contents page of the Part P guides and building regs IT DOESNT MAKE THEM ANY BETTER, and remember most of them were bodgers before they did the Part P course

I wouldn't say thats strictly true.......

hugh jass

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:13 pm »
Running cables horizontally behind skirting boards is a NO NO.

This is not a defined 'safe zone'.  :fighting:

Did he tie his horse up outside while he did the work?  :grin:

Unless I have read this wrong and the cables go down from the socket behind the skirting board into the floor void? or down into conduit embedded in a solid floor?

In these cases thats fine as the cables are run in a 'safe zone' but if he has run the cables HORIZONTALLY behind the skirting then :surprised:
Thanks for info. Ill phone the electrician and find out what he did exactly.I do remember him saying that he would have to cut a channel out of the skirting to keep it flush to the wall.   Didnt see a horse but he could have tied it up around the corner

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »
I suppose making them aware of the regs, guidance notes and standards etc can only be a good thing.  Im not a fan of it tbh, and think its more of a money making clause.  

Im part P as well, although i dont really require it for my job,  i rarely touch domestic, They offered me the course, so i accepted as i got it paid for.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »
Being a member of a competent persons scheme can only be a good thing IMO albeit a money maker for the companies running the schemes.

At least you have to be assessed every year and a number of previous jobs inspected.

The bad aspect to all this is that it will never stop the cowboys as being a member of one of these schemes isn't cheap which means the cowboys out there will always cash in on the cheap cash in hand bodge job  :fighting:

Although I always look at it that I'll usually get called out at some point to rectify their dodgy work anyway.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »
Its a bit far from me and I don't know anyone up that way.

Just make sure you use somone registered with ELECSA, NAPIT or the NICEIC  :happy2:

Thanks for the offer apollo13 its always the way when someone CAN help and advise lives miles away lol!
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................