Make a donation

Author Topic: Interesting MOT fail point............  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Interesting MOT fail point............
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »
I must admit the res Milltek on my R32 could be loud so I dread to think what a non-res on there would be like.  :scared:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 11:04:37 pm »
I must admit the res Milltek on my R32 could be loud so I dread to think what a non-res on there would be like.  :scared:

non res with de-cat  :innocent: :evilgrin:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 11:30:10 pm »
There have been de cat 2.0TFSIs passing the MOT emissions test ok.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 06:33:41 pm »

Not what we are contesting.  Noisy exhausts is the subject.

Saint Steve

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 08:12:19 pm »

Not what we are contesting.  Noisy exhausts is the subject.

So apart from Blueflame , Milltek, Apr, are you saying that these aftermarket systems may in future fail an MOT dave?.
Those 3 systems are the most common on here, and thus being the only ones that may effect us in this forum.

Out of those 3, id be happier with the milly, as its the quitest of those .

Still cant see it personally,nothing to be overly concerned about. There are louder Motorcycles and Scooters on the road, then our modified Golfs.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 08:54:53 pm »
Steve, not debating which, why, who or what.

My original post gives a link in which a car owner with an after-market exhaust, is questioning an MOT failure.  

I know it is very prominent within the 2 wheeled world, however it seems it is applicable in the 4 wheeled world, it is entirely subjective, one MOT tester may fail a car that another passes.

Taken from the Direct Gov website.

Exhaust system - complete, secure, without serious leaks and silences effectively

Taken from the MOT testers handbook (note the formatting is up the spout, but you get the idea)

1. Examine the condition of the whole exhaust system, including the silencers and mountings, for security, deterioration and completeness

Note: The overall security of the exhaust system should be assessed; one or more exhaust mountings missing may not be a Reason for Rejection.

2. With the engine running
a. check the exhaust system for leaks

b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle.

Note: The level of exhaust noise should be assesed at all engine speeds required for the exhaust emissions check.
a. A part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated By QD- Non Res?

b.  an exhaust system not adequately supported.

a. A major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system

Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a Reason for Rejection

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

If it fails, take it to another test station.  Pays your money and take s your choice, I personally think along with other aspects is a sign of things to come.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:58 pm »
I'm not saying or claiming that the other aftermarket exhaust companies don't make an effort to comply but I know for a fact that Milltek are very keen to comply with regulations whether they agree with them or not. Consequently I'm very confident in my Non-Res Milltek (actually it's a custom built design) continuing to pass MOT.

Btw, I assume the MOT tester makes his/her noise assessments from outside the car. A lot will also depend on the acoustics of the individual shed or workshop where the MOT is being conducted. You can argue or appeal over a MOT fail or advisory - I've done so and won. No prizes for guessing what it was about!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 06:22:56 am »
Robin, as my reply stated. I posted the thread because it was interesting.  I am notbothered about the pro's and con's of your milltek exhaust.  It is like a bust record, We all know you are a milltek fan boy.

This is about AFTER MARKET exhausts failing MOT tests. Not aboutmilltek being the best because they try hard to make exhausts legal.  Do you thinkthe MOT tester is bothered by that?  If HE thinks it is too noisy it won't matter what badge it has on it's tailpipe.

Offline damo666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 06:44:02 am »
If your worried about failing an MOT due to aftermarket
exhaust being considered too loud, then just use your
stock exhaust for the MOT :happy2:
Same as if you decat it, just place the cat back on for
MOT  :happy2:

Simples :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 07:19:11 am »

Robin, as my reply stated. I posted the thread because it was interesting.  I am notbothered about the pro's and con's of your milltek exhaust.  It is like a bust record, We all know you are a milltek fan boy.

This is about AFTER MARKET exhausts failing MOT tests. Not aboutmilltek being the best because they try hard to make exhausts legal.  Do you thinkthe MOT tester is bothered by that?  If HE thinks it is too noisy it won't matter what badge it has on it's tailpipe.

....Sorry mate but I was responding to an earlier post (Reply #19) by Saint Steve which mentioned aftermarket exhausts and Milltek and pointing out an advantage of a Milly when it came to MOT tests. "We" as you put it, are only the old hands who have been on this forum for a long while - There are plenty of newcomers who haven't heard my fine record  :grin:

Yes, your thread is of great interest  :smiley: even if it has raised alarm bells in some quarters.  :happy2:

Methinks you're a little too fast to jump on me whenever I mention the "Milltek" word sometimes - I don't see you jumping on Mat when he mentions Blueflame, but no matter  :P  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:20 am »

If your worried about failing an MOT due to aftermarket
exhaust being considered too loud, then just use your
stock exhaust for the MOT :happy2:
Same as if you decat it, just place the cat back on for
MOT  :happy2:

Simples :smiley:

....But nothing like as easy as removing a dangly air freshener etc from your rear view mirror for MOT. It's ok if you've got either a ramp or a pit and all the right tools to temporarily replace an exhaust but costs money to ask a professional to do it (circa £60). Exhaust pipes, because they expand and contract due to heat a lot, have a tendency to become very tight and awkward to change.

I suppose that if you have an exhaust system such a Non-Resonated Milltek (dare I mention the word!) you could just swop the centre section. But then, a Milltek (Oooops!) isn't likely to need being made quiet enough anyway.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 07:21:26 pm »
i'll be rolling into my MOT with a non res catback, i'll let you know how i get on  :wink: