Make a donation

Author Topic: Mixing Tyres (Front & Rear)?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Mixing Tyres (Front & Rear)?
« on: March 18, 2011, 04:40:18 pm »
I know you get a lot of tyre questions on here.

My question is not really about what tyre to choose but if the following would be ok:

I currently have the tyres the previous owner had put on. Which off the top of my head are Kumho Ecsta Spt’s on the front and Dunlop SP Sport’s on the rear.

The Kumho’s need replacing and so am planning on getting 2 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta’s.

So my question is would it be ok to have the Dunlops on the front and Vred’s on the rear?

The main reason I'm asking is because the tread patterns are very different.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:51:30 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5unv6qm7dlmn2iv93lqskpv7oq&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Mixing Tyres (Front & Rear)?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:54:12 pm »
In short... yes!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:58:59 pm »
you don't want to mix tyres on the same axle but different axles is fine.  I would have thought you would want the Vreds on the front and leave the Dunlops on the rear.  The Dunlops will have worn accordingly and will wear less on the rear and you want the best possible traction on the front as they deal with all the forces, turning accelerating and braking.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:00:43 pm »
Thanks guys :happy2:

I have read that you should put the newer tyres on the rear of a front wheel drive car?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5unv6qm7dlmn2iv93lqskpv7oq&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 05:01:21 pm »
The other train of thought is that you should put the best tyres on the rear as it there isnt as much weight on the rear axle.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:19:38 pm »
I can see that being a sensible idea as the better tread depth will help counter act the reduced weight during water clearance, but I know where I would rather have the grip when I need to wedge on the anchors or swerve to avoid an obstacle  :smiley:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.