• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
  • want to no more ??
    • Email
Turbo
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:34:27 pm »
Hope this does not sound stupid ? My uncle keeps telling me "I should wait 2 mins after i start up before I set off (let the turbo warm up) and when i stop before i turn the engin off ? This helps look after the Turbo.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Turbo
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:39:05 pm »
This is less important with modern turbo's and ECU controls. However, it's a very sensible practice anyway to let your engine revs die down (usually just below the 1,000 mark) before engaging gear. And then to take it very easy with the revs until the water temp (no oil temp gauge as OEM  :sad1:) is normal. Wouldn't you slow it all down as you approach home or a fuel station anyway?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline hoggj

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • want to no more ??
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:05:48 pm »
He has got me all worried i always wait a few mins  before i turn off engine...!! so it does no harm for me to keep this up :)

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:09:03 pm »
drive off boost for a few miles on start up and do the same towards the end of the journey should be fine.  if you have been on boost, always wait a couple of mins...it will preserve the life of the turbo.

Offline hoggj

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • want to no more ??
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »
Guy's thanks for ur help :)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:25:16 pm »
^^^^
You're very welcome, buddy - We're here to help each other best we can  :happy2: (And thanks for the 'Thank You' - Always appreciated  :drinking:)

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline blackmagic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:13:45 pm »
I do this as Red Robin said its just go practice, more so if you are going for a spirited drive! It does come from the days of old turbo cars that it was more important to do this on. On old turbo's a lot of people installed turbo timers to help keep the oil/coolant running after switch off. The MK5 Gti does have a system that keeps the oil/coolant (I forget which at this minute) for a short time after you switch the engine off.

Black GTI K03 Revo Stage 2+,

Offline blackmagic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:17:57 pm »
Sorry I wasn't that clear on my last post. I don't actually wait 2 minutes before I set off just keep the car off boost until warmed up.

Black GTI K03 Revo Stage 2+,

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:08:57 am »
As above, the first few and last few miles of any journey, I'll keep the revs below 2000rpm and take it easy.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

h4rdy

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 01:10:40 am »
If you have been having a spirited drive and you pull into your drive and turn the engine off, the turbo will still be spinning quite fast (upto 250,000rpm in some cases I believe?) and basically you will have just cut off the oil supply to the bearings.

Keep this up and the bearings will eventually pick up on the shaft, if shell type, or premature wear on the internals of a ball bearing type turbo.

No ammount of coolant being pumped through will help this as oil pressure is fed from the engine.

Also turbos get very hot and can even glow red and look translucent this also helps to make the bearings nice and toasty with a nice fast spinning shaft and no oil.

Its fairly easy to drive slow for the last mile or just wait a minute while you get your bag out take sunglasses off whatever!