Make a donation

Author Topic: Cycling helmets.  (Read 2881 times)

h4rdy

Cycling helmets.
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:18:46 am »
Keep seeing this and I just wanted to see what people think.

Dad takes his kids for a ride on there bikes. The kids have got cycle helmets but dad hasn't :surprised:

1: What kind of example is he setting to his kids?
2: He falls off bangs his head and knocks himself out while cycling on a bridle path or the like, what are the kids going to do now? The instances I have seen the kids were only 4, 5, 6!
3: He gets hit by a car, bangs his head...............you get the picture.

Just because we are older doesn't mean dad or mum are immune from injury.

My opinion is the same H&S applies to adults IMHO.

What do you all reckon?

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Cycling helmets.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:38:30 am »
As an ex cyclist I am very strongly in agreement with you - To the point where I often feel I want to politely advise those I see who don't wear cycling helmets whether they are with children or not, but I know what kind of reaction I'm likely to get. There's a very high sandstone vertical cliff on a beach locally and occasionally sizeable rocks fall. When I see tourist families sat on previous rock falls just under the cliff at the back of the beach I do very politely inform them about rock falls but often I just get a mouthful of abuse in response! As a competitive racing cyclist for many years (amateur time triallist) we were obliged to wear a helmet. Once I was hit by a car from behind and was flipped backwards and the back of my head was the first part of me to hit the tarmac - It was a slow accident on Putney Bridge, London but I don't want to think how I would be without that helmet. An added benefit was when out training the helmet would help keep your head warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer - Wind rushing through sweat-soaked hair is very refreshing!

I also think that quad bike riders should wear helmets.

My biggest dislike of some, not all, cyclists is when they take to the pavement at traffic lights, or even ignore them. They don't think they are subject to the Highway Code and they promote an anti-cyclist mood amongst drivers.

Wearing a helmet is simply common sense, regardless of any rules.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:42:25 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:08 am »
A difficult one. I am pro-choice when it comes to helmets for cyclists, but also think he should set a good example. I personally would never wear one, but I don't have any kids to worry about.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:38 am »

A difficult one. I am pro-choice when it comes to helmets for cyclists, but also think he should set a good example. I personally would never wear one, but I don't have any kids to worry about.

....It is your choice of course, but I can't believe I'm reading that! You only need to tap your head badly once to do potentially serious damage - What justification could you possibly have? I have never worn a helmet for the sake of my children or anyone else, but my for own safety.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:29:19 am »
I agree everyone should wear a helmet whilst on a bike, it is so easy to be taken off....and not by your choice!
Just think, Robin wore a helmet and was taken off by a car, the long term effects have been serious.....just think how perverted he would be if he didnt have his helmet on!!!! :grin:

Sorry Robin couldnt resist. On a serious note though I agree parents/adults should lead by example, me and my wife have been so close to being knocked off our bikes on so many occassions its not funny! You wouldnt catch me without my cycle helmet especially when you consider what speeds we can get upto! :driver:

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:00 am »
7 years ago i got t boned by a muppet in car whislt out cycling, and was glad i was wearing a helmet when my head bounced on the floor, helmet took the impact well as did my oakleys and facially i just got a case of gravel rash, ended up with a broken left hand and broken right wrist, since then i also tend to cycle in long sleeve tops given the amount of gravel they picked out of them too

after that encounter i bought a better spec one and always wear it given the amount of muppets out there

it can happen to you, and when you get older it does hurt as you no longer bounce

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:33:19 am »
I've had plenty of bike crashes, including ones that wrote bikes off, ripped clothing and broke bones and not once have I hit my head. That may just be luck, but it makes me think that it's just an unlikely scenario.

Plus they look stoopid! :evilgrin:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:25:06 am »
nowt wrong with wearing a lid  :innocent:

slightly off topic but same vein - ive worn a lid when snowboarding for years, heard all the "you look like a burnt match" jokes etc but its saved my melon many times, especially on one evil rail in squaw valley  :scared:

i was a standout for years, now loads wear them.

should be the same with bikes imho

better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:35:13 am »
only ever worn a helmet, and it was not like you see nowadays, when racing.

Have 3 bikes (Mountain, road and my last bike I ever raced in the '80's) and don't own a helmet at all.

Just my preference. 

h4rdy

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:02 am »
Simon, my MET is very cool and technical it doesn't look stupid at all and even if it did it is still better than being a vegetable with my poor wife having to look after me which has happened to a lot of people.

Two years ago for the first time I managed to climb this large hill on the road for the first time in the large front cog. At the top we then dip right to some woods and its all downhill mental. I got a little excited and a bit of fatigue from the climb and lowsided trying to catch my mate. If I hadn't been wearing my helmet I'm convinced it would have been a helicopter job. 4 weeks off work with my shoulder which is still agony and ill be seeing the doctor again tomorrow about it.

I'd say I was lucky but I have worn a helmet since 1995 when I bought a specialized while living in Italy and I took my bike so I could ride the beautiful national parks in and around Bologna. I was on my own a lot and younger and more mental. I still have that helmet.

When I rode motorbikes I always wore the top or the range Arai lids because TBH through general bike consensus was you should always buy the best so it was either that or Shoei.

One head, one chance, Simon I don't want to preach but please review your opinion its the same as wearing a seat belt everytime but I bet you do that without thinking?

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 04:26:41 pm »
...your head is only worth as much as you spend on your helmet, is motorsports creed. If there's one area where my brother and I aren't afraid to shell out it's on helmets (not that I require racing helmets anymore...).

Offline Verity

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:04:03 pm »
I'm all for people wearing helmets.
Agree with the original post about setting an example and think about how the children could be effected if something happened.

And also I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen / been in close calls with cyclists.
Going straight through red lights
Riding two abreast (correct term?) on fast,busy, winding roads
Joining roads without stopping at junctions

It's scary people even considering getting on a bike without a helmet

I had one person a few month back who I came very close to.
I checked my mirrors, signalled, started to over take, and the cyclist just suddenly pulled hard to the right.
He was about to miss his turning and so He didn't check over his shoulder before moving to see if I was there. If it wasn't for the fact that I always leave plenty of room when over taking he would have smacked right into the front left side of my car.
He had no helmet  :scared:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:19:56 pm by Verity »

h4rdy

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:02:13 pm »
When I was cycling a lot years ago I decided, wrongly, to cycle past a car turning right on the right!

I got knocked off totally my fault as I ignored her indicators!

No helmets back then and I was lucky and didn't bang my head.

Makes me shudder now though!

Offline Jetl3on

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:16:29 am »
Guilty, I insist on my son wearing a helmet, but I have never worn one since learning aged 5. I should, but as my parents used to tell me, do as i say, not as I do. There are flaws in that argument.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 05:04:01 pm »

Guilty, I insist on my son wearing a helmet, but I have never worn one since learning aged 5. I should, but as my parents used to tell me, do as i say, not as I do. There are flaws in that argument.

....Wearing a helmet really is a no-brainer. And you don't want to end up with half a brain because you didn't do so.