Make a donation

Author Topic: bike racks  (Read 3224 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
bike racks
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:11:00 pm »
whats everyone using on the back or on the roof ? Pics would be great too  :drinking:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: bike racks
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »
I hate seeing cars with a load of bikes hanging off the back, saw one yesterday with 4 bikes and the innermost one's front wheel was touching the ground on rough surfaces - Just asking to be ripped off and take the other three with it.

A decent roof mount setup with nice Aero bars  :happy2:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:48:21 pm »
I used a Saris Bones rack off the tailgate when I had my Edition 30 ... well made but I didn't seat it properly and it left a pressure dent  in the top of the tailgate which could be got out !   

I now use a roof mounted Thule rack on my BMW to avoid any issues ....

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »
I have a 5 door GTi and have a thule roof system with the alloy aero bars (silver, sleeker and quiet) All with locks ---Not OME, but thule's own system :laugh:

I carry 3 bikes (2 adults and 1 childs, but it's almost full size) using the thule 591 cycle racks, same cycle racks fit on our Audi Avant roof rack so its nice and easy. Tend to use it all more on the Audi as it does dent mpg, but if you are carrying bikes they are secure and out of the way, and you get easy access to the boot at all times which is essential :jumpmove: It's quick and easy to fit and take off, just watch the paintwork & make sure the car is clean

I got the bars, foot packs and rapid fitting kit all 2nd hand on thief-bay and got a good deal. It wasn't a complete set up I got them via 3 seperate sales :indifferent: and sold on the bits i didn't need. It worked out the cheapest way for me

Had the same make on my old Mk4 with no issues, take a look at the thule website

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline w80ody

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 02:48:41 am »
Heres one of mine using OEM bars that’s I sourced on ebay for £80ish, personally I think they look much better than the generic Thule bars with fitting kit as the OEM bars don’t stick out past the car. But the OEM bars are made by Thule anyway and are an excellent fit.

Bike racks I use are a Thule 591 and a Mont Blonc Barracuda. Both are good; mont blanc looks better (imo) and has a scoop at front which keeps front wheel very steady but the Thule has an excellent ratchet style clamp which is much faster to use. A combination of both would make the perfect bike mount!

We did a few trips last summer in Highlands and Scottish borders (300miles averaging 60-70mph) and never had to adjust or tighten up the rack or mounts.

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 04:59:52 pm »
I use a rear-mounted one and can comfortably carry two adult bikes on it with no problems.  It's only a Halfords one but does what it's meant to and also keeps the lights and number plate clear (one of my biggest gripes is people carrying bikes that conceal the rear lights).  I did consider a roof-mounted one but a) like to keep an eye on what the bikes are doing and b) if I ever went biking on my own I think I'd probably struggle to lift the bike onto the roof on my own, especially as I already have a dodgy back!

FOR SALE!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:49:46 pm »
aero roof bars sorted

Thule proride 591 fitted too

thanks for your help guys  :drinking:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:08:16 pm »
Much better.  Look good on the car too.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:28:44 pm »
Car looks well there dude
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Merlinman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 09:32:38 pm »
http://lyxus.net/ibly

Atera Strada - not cheap,but allows boot access even with bikes loaded.

<1min to attach/remove. Locksto tow ball and bikes lock to rack