Make a donation

Author Topic: Magnetic Number Plate Questions  (Read 2857 times)

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Magnetic Number Plate Questions
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:15:33 pm »
Hi,

I see a few of you have opted for using magnets to hold the front number plate.  :happy2:

I'm going to try and follow suit but would like to get it right the first time, so...

1. Are the EP336 magnets from e-magnetsuk.com the best ones to get? (I read they could be 'too' strong!)
2. What glue did you use?
3. I like Top Cat's idea of felt on the rear of the number plate - is it best to get adhesive felt or can normal felt be glued on without the glue soaking into it?

I'm going to buy a new front plate but I think I'll go for a plastic one that can bend slightly rather than a metal one.

Thanks!
Steel Grey Edition 30 DSG

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: Magnetic Number Plate Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:17:49 am »
1. Are the EP336 magnets from e-magnetsuk.com the best ones to get? (I read they could be 'too' strong!)
2. What glue did you use?
3. I like Top Cat's idea of felt on the rear of the number plate - is it best to get adhesive felt or can normal felt be glued on without the glue soaking into it?

1. I used neodinium 1 inch wide magnets off ebay, about 3mm thick, not too strong at all.
2. I used some superglue at first but it was crap so went for some of the stuff you get from halfords which is 2 that you mix together in a syringe.. on the rear of the grille I used a glue gun.
3. Normal felt from hobbycraft, about £2 does the job, and that can be glued on anyway you like, the glue doesnt go through mine.

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 08:42:54 am »
OK cheers!

I think I'll use some good super glue and then put some weatherproof gaffa tape over it to prevent them being pulled off under force.

Now to hunt for supplies...  :happy2:

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:22:31 pm »
Right, I've bought some magnets from eBay - I assume they are the same as the ones from e-magnetsuk.com as they are neodynium N42 20mm x 5mm discs with a pull of 6.4kg, but they were a couple of quid cheaper.

I've also ordered some Araldite epoxy resin which should hold them firmly in place and better than conventional super glue would.

Hopefully everything will arrive this week so I can put everything together next weekend!  :happy2:

Offline big al

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 05:49:03 pm »
You will enjoy it, It is a quite satisfying feeling doing a nifty little mod like this yourself. Tthough 5mm magnets are quite thick.
It's trial and error really though, I had some magnets that were no way strong enough first time out, and have had to redo bits and pieces in the past as they pull off or break off.

Offline Wardy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Briskoda
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:41:49 pm »
This just to make it easy to switch between normal and show plates? Sounds a decent idea, but think I'd be forever worrying that they'd fall off, or that someone would pinch them!

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:10:15 pm »
That would be one use for them but I think most people, like I plan to, use them on a US spec grille which has no mounting plate or holes.  :happy2:

Offline Wardy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Briskoda
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:18:15 pm »
Ah right, spot on  :smiley:

Offline big al

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:43 pm »
As long as the magnets are fixed on to the number plate it will never fall off.
Feel more confident with these on than if I had the double sided foam pads which have failed a few times on me. :scared:

Offline darkside

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:15 am »
Sorry to jump in but was wondering if the magnets would be strong enough for when there is a carbon centre on the grille?

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »
I'm sure they would be!

I got round to doing mine today! :pomppomp:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24323.msg352784.html#msg352784