Make a donation

Author Topic: Accountancy career advice wanted  (Read 1387 times)

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Accountancy career advice wanted
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:18:05 pm »
No not for me, too old and too thick!

My son is thinking about a career in accountancy, he's only 15 at the mo and still at school so basically wants to know the best way to get in.
Obviously he'll go to college and plans on university (subject to being able to swallow the fees!!) but doesn't know where to go from there or whether that's even the best path to follow.

A workmate of mine's wife is an accountant for the local water company, but she went into it later in life after going to university as a mature student and then used her degree and previous management experience to lever her way in, so a very different approach.

So, to a 15 year old lad, what advice can you give (aside from the 'don't bother because it's dull' advice!!), or could you recommend a similar career?
Andy
7R

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: Accountancy career advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:23:44 pm »
Finish school, go to college, get the appropriate A Levels in the subjects required. (e.g. Economics, Accounting, Business, Finance?) Or do they prefer you to not have accountancy experience?

You could do one of these new things that have come out within the last year where a company such as PwC or Delloite pays for your university fees and then gives you a job with them afterwards? I don't know the intricate details, but look up the schemes that the 'Big 4' accountancy firms are now doing with selected universities. They are sponsoring certain courses and giving candidates ways into the company! Could be worth a look..
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »
another alternative to the normal general accountancy is to be a Quantity Surveyor ( they are the accountants of the Building/construction industry).

Essentially the same job, running budgets, contracts etc but they will also learn about all the different construction methods, techniques, types of contracts,  etc etc.  Big money to be had in this job, IMO more so than a normal accountant, along with plenty of job opportunities.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:52:01 pm »
There are 2 main avenues really in my view - commerce or practice (audit) Very different type of work so need to understand which one interests you.

My advice to people wanting to go down this career path is do your A levels (Maths being one of them..business studies also good) and then get straight into a junior / trainee Job. Forget the uni stuff.

We value work experience / understanding of business more than anything these days recruiting into a finance role.
Hopefully you can find an employer than will sponsor u while you study for your professional qualification (CIMA/ACCA/ACA)
I would recommend you study AAT first as it is a much better stepping stone before the serious stuff.

It is a bit of a slog working and studying but if it's the career you want the benefits can be immense.

I'm still working my up the ladder but it pays for my R at least

Ifti

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:53:19 pm »
I studied accounting at A Level.
I then started my joint degree in Accounting and Business IT.
Decided to drop Accounting after the first year as I couldnt see myself in an office doing bookwork all my life. Was top of the year in uni and they really tried to stop me from dropping it!
Nevertheless I went ahead and continued by degree in Business IT.
Im now stuck in an office all day working with servers.
Oh well, such is life!

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:56:40 pm »
I'm an accountant!! You do need to have a certain mentality lol.
I finished school after A levels and went straight into private practice at a local firm of chartered accountants. IMO this is the best route and would not go down the uni route. There is plenty of scope to get vocational qualifications, eg AAT is the first and most common qualification. This can then open the door to further qualifications such as CIMA.
The AAT can be done as a half day release or evening course.
I was in practice for nearly 15 years which gives you a fantastic spread of knowledge in bookkeeping, accounts production, payroll, vat, limited company audits, personal and company tax.
I've moved out of practice 6 years ago when I became a motor dealership accountant. I love cars, I like sums, perfect combo!!
HTH  :happy2:
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:17:40 pm »
Brilliant advice so far people, many thanks  :happy2:
You definately seem to confirm that it's best to skip the university bit. Which would be a big bonus considering the fees.

@ Janner_sy; a workmate's daughter is a quantity surveyor; you're quite right about the money!!! £££

Personally I don' think he's too fussed what direction he takes, I told him years ago that if he's going to take an office job (and I really couldn't picture him up a ladder grafting!) that he may as well find a well paid one as they are all boring.
I sit in an office bored and get paid peanuts, so if he follows my footsteps he'll get a kicking!!!
Andy
7R

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:40:12 pm »
at least as a quantity surveyor you'll be able to get yourself on site, valuing dayworks etc.  So  theres plenty of scope for getting out and about.

Would still bore the tits off me though lol

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:14:15 pm »
another alternative to the normal general accountancy is to be a Quantity Surveyor ( they are the accountants of the Building/construction industry).

Essentially the same job, running budgets, contracts etc but they will also learn about all the different construction methods, techniques, types of contracts,  etc etc.  Big money to be had in this job, IMO more so than a normal accountant, along with plenty of job opportunities.

This ^^ then get into oil and gas, 40k after two years easily on a staff contract or kicking between £400/£500 a day as a contractor.  Regardless of which industry he goes into it will be a lot more interesting and hands on than pure accountancy.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:25:20 am »
at least as a quantity surveyor you'll be able to get yourself on site, valuing dayworks etc.  So  theres plenty of scope for getting out and about.

Would still bore the tits off me though lol
That means I'd have to buy him a car too! Stuff it, he can have a normal office job and catch the bus!!!

Essentially the same job, running budgets, contracts etc but they will also learn about all the different construction methods, techniques, types of contracts,  etc etc.  Big money to be had in this job, IMO more so than a normal accountant, along with plenty of job opportunities.

This ^^ then get into oil and gas, 40k after two years easily on a staff contract or kicking between £400/£500 a day as a contractor.  Regardless of which industry he goes into it will be a lot more interesting and hands on than pure accountancy.
Nice idea, but he doesn't stray far from his Mum's apron strings so I can't see him disappearing off to the frozen North anytime soon. Mind you if I wasn't too old to get another line of profession that sort of career would be ringing my bells.
Andy
7R