Make a donation

Author Topic: More clutter showing us up on the Ring...  (Read 10203 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
More clutter showing us up on the Ring...
« on: March 29, 2011, 03:36:54 pm »
You spend all that money stripping, mapping, modding and fettling.... and you're still not as quick!

Megane RS250, delivery mileage and road tyres on a cold damp track - totally out of the box fresh. 8:06 Bridge to Gantry  :congrats:

Why aren't VAG doing this?

Sideways yo!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: More clutter showing us up on the Ring...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:40:17 pm »
simple answer vag dont need to do it they let the owners make the choice and mod how we want

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 03:42:51 pm »
I don't mean that as such - more making hot hatches hot.

A MKI/MKII Golf was much better built than French tat of the era, but they were just as good in terms of being hot.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:45:00 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:48:20 pm »
I woudl also say they dont really want to do it, Renault go for ring times etc to sell cars VAG can sell there more expensive cars to a different market who have different priorities than tracking.  If they did make somethign that fast it would have an audi badge and cost £40k at least....... oh wait a minute thats an RS3....

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:02:43 pm »
Im sure that VW could make a golf do that, but at what consequence? It would (im sure) alienate there typical GTI customer.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:21:57 pm »
A french hatch could be twice as quick but it still wouldn't tick the boxes for me.  Massive depreciation, poor reliability, poor dealers, horrible cheap plastic interiors I just wouldn't!  The r26 is a lovely car to drive when you're in the mood, most of the time its just an unrefined annoying rattle box.  When i was 19 that would have done me, 10 years later I'm not interested.  I love the GTI, being able to get the balance of everything makes it the ultimate hot hatch in my book!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:31:16 pm »
i think they could still make the golf a lot more focus'd without compromising daily use.  all it would take is some stiffer bushings, stiffer ARBs, and better brakes.  that nad the fact the VW still think 207hp is fine for the hot hatch market.  now there nearest VAG competitor is about 40Hp more powerful now.

I think id take the megane tbh.

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »
i think they could still make the golf a lot more focus'd without compromising daily use.  all it would take is some stiffer bushings, stiffer ARBs, and better brakes.  that nad the fact the VW still think 207hp is fine for the hot hatch market.  now there nearest VAG competitor is about 40Hp more powerful now.

What is it you've go against vw? It seems like in a lot of your posts you seem to criticise them? I'm not being funny but it just seems a little strange considering you are a member of a vw forum?  :laugh:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:43:46 pm »
i think they could still make the golf a lot more focus'd without compromising daily use.  all it would take is some stiffer bushings, stiffer ARBs, and better brakes.  that nad the fact the VW still think 207hp is fine for the hot hatch market.  now there nearest VAG competitor is about 40Hp more powerful now.

What is it you've go against vw? It seems like in a lot of your posts you seem to criticise them? I'm not being funny but it just seems a little strange considering you are a member of a vw forum?  :laugh:

I think VW are doing just fine, reviews still class the gti as the hot hatch king, better than the more powerful s3 and if you look at the used car values, nobody want the more powerful, more focused cars as they're worth peanuts.  A remap sorts out the power deficit anyway :laugh:  

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »
What amazes me is he obviously has a passenger AND can laugh and joke all the way round.

Have Renault given an official lap for the full 'ring yet in the 250 cup? I know the R26R did around 8'17"
Golf R gone.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:09 pm »
I don't mean that as such - more making hot hatches hot.

A MKI/MKII Golf was much better built than French tat of the era, but they were just as good in terms of being hot.
that is a mad time, not a fan of the 250 though, and to be honest, its very golf like in terms of build, cue the people who have no idea with the same old, "its french so its rubbish" lol, drive it! french cars go, german cars look cool. as for the mk2 TD, as good as a pug gti? nah :P
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »
hang on! just realised its bridge to gantry! the stock r26 did a full lap in 8min 30, which is about 8 min B to G, so that time is not very good!!! take back my last post :signLOL:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 05:48:38 pm »
i think they could still make the golf a lot more focus'd without compromising daily use.  all it would take is some stiffer bushings, stiffer ARBs, and better brakes.  that nad the fact the VW still think 207hp is fine for the hot hatch market.  now there nearest VAG competitor is about 40Hp more powerful now.

To be fair, I think Janboy has a point.  The Golf is good, possibly great, but think what a touch more relatively inexpensive development (parts available within VAG) would create.

The Gti (in both std and Ed 30 guise) brakes are poor, yet Seat fit Brembo's to some, and R32 type brakes to others.  Stiffer bushings are found elsewhere within VAG (Audi/Seat Cupra), so cost is virtually nil I would suggest.

Saint Steve

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 06:46:47 pm »
A french hatch could be twice as quick but it still wouldn't tick the boxes for me.  Massive depreciation, poor reliability, poor dealers, horrible cheap plastic interiors I just wouldn't!  The r26 is a lovely car to drive when you're in the mood, most of the time its just an unrefined annoying rattle box.  When i was 19 that would have done me, 10 years later I'm not interested.  I love the GTI, being able to get the balance of everything makes it the ultimate hot hatch in my book!

x2 :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »

What is it you've go against vw? It seems like in a lot of your posts you seem to criticise them? I'm not being funny but it just seems a little strange considering you are a member of a vw forum?  :laugh:

Im a lingerer  :innocent: :innocent:  Got nothing against VW, i just point out the obvious.  The golf is a great all rounder (not as good as the octavia :P in that sense), but as a focused hot hatch its not as good. 

As said the Cupra got the better brakes as standard, why couldnt the GTI or ED30.  Could have even stuck in the cupra engine in the GTI as standard.  would of made a good car a great car.  Instead you have to pay the Ed30 premium to get it how it should have been as standard