Make a donation

Author Topic: More clutter showing us up on the Ring...  (Read 10206 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: More clutter showing us up on the Ring...
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 09:28:38 pm »
Two words FAG...............

Residual value  :chicken:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 09:29:13 pm »
I would also say they dont really want to do it, Renault go for ring times etc to sell cars VAG can sell there more expensive cars to a different market who have different priorities than tracking.  If they did make something that fast it would have an Audi badge and cost £40k at least....... oh wait a minute thats an RS3....

Nail on head.  :happy2:

VW are just there to sell cars, and sell most of their GTI's on badge reputation. The car of the people tag has long gone apart from for those who still fall for advertising twaddle.
They clearly don't feel the need to produce the cars that we all on here love to relieve us of our hard earned. Just take a look at what they do offer for the golf lovers. The R20 although good is just meant to entice 30 something middle earners, who want the top of the range for the sake of showing their neighbours how well they are doing.
I like you Mike wish they would produce something tasty. Are they going to anytime soon, not a chance.  :fighting2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 09:31:52 pm »

Residual value  :chicken:

As i said it's all relative we both still lose £18k :booty: :P

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »

Residual value  :chicken:

As i said it's all relative we both still lose £18k :booty: :P

Yeh but we dont have to drive a Skoda!  :P
 :grin:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 09:33:27 pm »
But my £6k saving gets me a lot of mods  :P

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 09:34:15 pm »

And a job lot of brown paper bags with eye holes!  :signLOL:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 09:36:16 pm »
they had to give the seat bigger brake(not better) as the rest is crap  :signLOL:  same with skoda  :P buy a proper car not the cheaper one  :booty:
 :popcornsoda: :popcornsoda:
:wink:

Vw = peoples car
Audi = more money than sense and bland
Seat= cant afford the Golf
Skoda = cant afford the seat
 :signLOL:

Ok lets bring some objectivity to this

My new vRS that i have ordered (not taking into account the 20% off) should be nearly £27k. A 5 Door Golf GTi to the same spec (Satnav, Leather, Xenons, Bluetooth, Cruise, MFD, F&R Parking Sensors) is............Wait for it
£34K :surprised: :surprised:

Why is their a £7k premium.......

They share the same TSi Engine, DSG Box & Chassis. The interior materials are the same quality (door cards/dash etc) and don't say they aren't as my wife had a Golf and i had the door cards off that when i fixed her wing mirrors and the only difference is shape. Carpets are the same quality (to feel anyway) Satnav is the same just a different start up logo. Don't start saying they are built better as they use the same bolts for near enough everything.

Maybe the leather seats are a different price due to quality.

In the Octavia's favour though it is bigger (so more practical)

So we will take into account that the Octavia's leather seats are £1000 cheaper for a reason. So that leaves a £6k premium.

That's a very expensive VW badge at £3k each (front & rear)

Yes they may hold their value well. But it's all relative. After 3 years my vRS will be worth about £9k (as long as not high mileage) so i will have lost off the retail price (again not taking into account the 20% off) £18k.

A 3 Year old Golf GTi is around £16k (looking on VW Used approved) so again you have lost about £18k.

So although i could afford a far more expensive car than i have. It was actually my wife that made me see sense as the car i wanted to buy was £42k. She pointed out that everything i wanted from the car i could get from a vRS and save myself a shed load of cash.

If that sounds like I'm having a go I'm not i am just bringing another view point. FWIW the Skoda dealers i have used in the past (bar one :fighting:) have always been more than helpful in every respect.

The thing is, if you can afford the extra outlay at the beginning, you are losing the same amount over the ownership of both the cars so the gti isn't really costing a premium.  You're investing an extra 6-7k at the beginning but getting it back at the end :smiley: Unfortunately I'd still rather have a vw than a skoda, as good as they may well be a car with a skoda or seat badge doesn't really float my boat.  And indeed that sounds awful but it's that perception from mr average which allows vw to charge more
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:38:19 pm by winrya »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:39 pm »
But my £6k saving gets me a lot of mods  :P

Yeah for VW Drivers who have breathing problems when i tell them how much i saved and they see that my car is virtually the same as theirs :P

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »

Yeah for VW Drivers who have breathing problems when i tell them how much i saved and they see that my car is virtually the same as theirs :P

Virtually being the most critical word in that sentence......  :wink:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:41 pm »
The thing is, if you can afford the extra outlay at the beginning, you are losing the same amount over the ownership of both the cars so the gti isn't really costing a premium.  You're investing an extra 6-7k at the beginning but getting it back at the end :smiley: Unfortunately I'd still rather have a vw than a skoda, as good as they may well be a car with a skoda or seat badge doesn't really float my boat.  And indeed that sounds awful but it's that perception from mr average which allows vw to charge more

Fairy Nuff

However i would rather be Mr Average and have £6-7k sat in the bank earning interest than be Mr Keep With The Jones' and watch it sit on my drive. I also do take comfort in the fact that Skoda's beat VW's in the owner satisfaction surveys  :innocent: :evilgrin:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:51 pm »

Virtually being the most critical word in that sentence......  :wink:

Apart from the Shell they are  :P :booty:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »

Fairy Nuff

However i would rather be Mr Average and have £6-7k sat in the bank earning interest than be Mr Keep With The Jones' and watch it sit on my drive. I also do take comfort in the fact that Skoda's beat VW's in the owner satisfaction surveys  :innocent: :evilgrin:

I'm sure the skoda service is even better but I've spend many years buying the alfas, seats etc to save some money and I have to be honest I used to get so sick of the badge snobbery, it will break down, you're brave etc.  I played safe with the GTI, cost me more than i wanted to spend but actually, 5 years later because of the slow depreciation it's turned out the cheapest car i've ever owned and not one person in 5 years has said anything other than positive comments about it.  I really do like the vrs though! 

Does the skoda have double skinned doors? Where are they built?  I do struggle to see why vw ended mk5 production early because it was over engineered and too costly to make taking twice as long as renault take to make a meganne, yet skoda can chuck these out with massive discounts??

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:04 pm »
They do have double skinned doors as i've had the door cards off on both of mine. As far as i'm aware they are built in the Czech Republic

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »
It all boils down to VAG branding again and pinsticking each model at a place in the range.

VW aren't allowed to outperform and Audi
Seat aren't allowed to outperform a VW
Skoda aren't allowed to outperform a Seat.

This is why VW will NEVER get a Renaultsport equivalent. Sure, the Golf R and Scirocco R are good cars, but VW will not build a 2 door, 2 seat car with lightweight panels, bucket seats, lightweight alloys, sports suspension, multi-pot track brakes and a roll cage as they are hobbled by VAG marketing. :fighting:
Golf R gone.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=18m8s948kok89gqa4h4q7g9s37&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:51 pm »

By your reckoning £6k will buy you 2 VW badges...   :signLOL: