Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS 510 problem - ebay  (Read 3926 times)

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
RNS 510 problem - ebay
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:11:06 pm »
Decided to change my RNS 510 to a Pioneer AVIC-F9210BT and love the new unit. I went for the one that is a direct replacement for a vw/skoda and looks very oem.  I therefore decided to sell the RNS 510 on ebay and ended up having to give a refund due to the unit being unable to accept a disk. Since getting the unit returned ive tried it and the disk (cd) goes in halfway and spins slowly but doesnt go no further.

If this problem cannot be resolved im unsure wat to do. I suppose i could sell it for parts. For example if someone on here has a faulty screen or hard drive it could be of use for someone, as everything still works perfectly its just the dvd/cd drive unit which appears to be faulty.

Has anyone had this type of dvd drive fault before?

p.s Just realised i should have put this in the car audio section, probably needs moving
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:18:10 pm by AlanEdition30 »

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: RNS 510 problem - ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »
Might be worth a PM to Darren (mortygttdi). I believe you can replace just the drive.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »
Was it faulty before hand ?, i guessed it could have been damaged in transit but the big scam on ebay at the moment is buying something and taking out the bit/s they want and swopping them over with their broken bits and then claiming a fault !

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 03:32:10 pm »
Yeah ive heard of that scam with broken X box's etc. It was in perfect working order, never has any trouble when i had it. Its definitely the same shell of the returned unit. Where i messed up is when i bought the unit i never noticed that the warranty seal had been broken. I just installed the unit and everything was fine. It wasnt until i removed the unit that i noticed it had been opened up previously. What i should of done was open up the unit and take a photo of the codes of the internal parts to be sure but i didnt.  :sad1:

Selling this on ebay has really opened up my eyes to the world of scams etc. Im not saying this is definitely the case with this but it does make me wonder. But of course the unit could of taken a bump in transit. I cant find the thread anymore but i do remember finding one that mentioned that if removing the faulty dvd unit it can be difficult to re-align the new dvd unit with the dvd slot. Could the unit of taken a bump so that the slots externally and internally dont line up?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:18:21 pm by AlanEdition30 »

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:15:16 pm »
Alan where about are you?? I could take a look if you can get it to me, it may just be that the drive that is damaged but they can be messed with to get them back in tip top quite easily

Darren :happy2:

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:47:54 pm »
Hi Darren

Im from Norwich. I definitely would like you to have a look at the faulty dvd unit and see if there is a simple fix etc. If nothing can be done i have nothing to lose as right now i have a unit which is almost worthless without a working dvd drive. Would it be best for me to post the unit to you for you to take a look? (this time theres going to be plenty of bubble wrap etc in the box) Once you've had a look you could pm me your conclusion to the problem, i could then pick the unit up one weekend when your at home?

If your successful or not there will be plently of beer tokens for your trouble  :happy2:

Alan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:50:42 pm by AlanEdition30 »

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:39:03 am »
Alan send me a pm and ill get my details to you.

Darren :happy2:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:46:49 pm »
All sorted :happy2:

Darren

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 12:52:07 pm »
Nice to hear.  :happy2:

Offline Scousus maximus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »
All sorted :happy2:

Darren

Nice one Darren!
Without giving too much away, do you think Alan has been a scamming victim? I'm just very wary of certain things on e bay and like to keep up with it as much as possible.

Regards,
John

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 01:34:28 pm »
The drive fault has been experienced by at least one other fellow forumite, so it's not outside the realms of possibility.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 02:43:53 pm »
No I don't think any scam on this account :happy2: Its just a possibility that before it was taken out of the previous car a CD was rammed into the drive and dislodged the mechs in the motor.

I would think a genuine sale, and if not I hope Alan got a small discount from it or will be seeking a small discount from the seller if he gets in touch with him.

Cheers

Darren

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 04:34:56 pm »
Its strange as a user on another forum has mentioned he bought a faulty RNS with a dodgy drive, i wonder if its the buyer LOL