Make a donation

Author Topic: iMac purchase soon!  (Read 2924 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: iMac purchase soon!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:13 am »
I snagged Office for Mac from work via the staff purchasing scheme (£20 on DVD) just to make it easy for the missus doing work stuff... other than that, I haven't found anything that I had on Windows that won't work on Mac.

Father in-law uses some £30,000 a licence engineering software that won't work on a Mac, I think these days 99.9% of stuff is ok though... it's just a legacy of the past.

I work in IT, so can't be bothered with anything technical by the time I get home - I just want stuff to work, hence choosing Macs. I've got a Macbook and iPhone at the mo, it's all I need, goes all the way back to an old G4. I want Apple TV next.
Sideways yo!

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:15:29 am »
I snagged Office for Mac from work via the staff purchasing scheme (£20 on DVD) just to make it easy for the missus doing work stuff... other than that, I haven't found anything that I had on Windows that won't work on Mac.

Father in-law uses some £30,000 a licence engineering software that won't work on a Mac, I think these days 99.9% of stuff is ok though... it's just a legacy of the past.

I work in IT, so can't be bothered with anything technical by the time I get home - I just want stuff to work, hence choosing Macs. I've got a Macbook and iPhone at the mo, it's all I need, goes all the way back to an old G4. I want Apple TV next.

Apple TV is schweeeeet, I know I shouldn't say this but jailbreak it, I do with am my iDevices I'm afraid. Reason I did it with the Tv is because it just un-locks so much more little features and makes it all that little bit easier. Worth the £99 though.

ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 11:26:59 am »
Yeah, only thing is at the minute I have BT Vision - so I've got HD Freeview & on-demand content already.

Might have a re-shuffle and stick the BT box in the bedroom.
Sideways yo!

Ifti

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:46 am »

I work in IT, so can't be bothered with anything technical by the time I get home - I just want stuff to work, hence choosing Macs.

100% spot on - exactly how I feel!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 11:47:17 pm »

Apple TV is schweeeeet, I know I shouldn't say this but jailbreak it, I do with am my iDevices I'm afraid. Reason I did it with the Tv is because it just un-locks so much more little features and makes it all that little bit easier. Worth the £99 though.

Apple tv is awesome! I've not jail broken mine though. What are the benefits?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cnpg9l3sa85dvid6hnfs7apl08&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 12:05:56 am »

Also.. anything that hasnt been adapted for mac, parallels runs so quickly if you really have to use windows on occasion (VCDS or other) its not big deal!

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 08:19:51 am »
Apple tv is awesome! I've not jail broken mine though. What are the benefits?

There's loads, the ability to play .mkv files (Downloaded HD/BluRay content is usually .mkv) as is DivX

Internet -

Last.fm Streaming -

Weather -

And loads much such as the support for -

Video:            .avi, .divx, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg, .wmv, .xvid
DVD Files:    VIDEO_TS/VOB
Audio:             AAC, AC3, Audible, Apple Lossless, AIFF, DTS, FLAC, HE-AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, MPEG3, MPEG4, WAV, WMA

Plus more coming soon, the ability to install 3rd party apps (more being made weekly) Just opens up the potential of the little thing really. Visit http://firecore.com/atvflash-black for more info, I do have the install .dmg too wink!
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!