Make a donation

Author Topic: Spare wheel well - another rust-prone location?  (Read 5854 times)

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
Re: Spare wheel well - another rust-prone location?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 11:13:07 pm »
Where is this vent and how do you access it?

If you pull the carpeted areas of each side of the boot out you will see the vents. You don't need to remove them fully to see the vents.

I had a leak in my boot which I traced to the passenger side vent which was replaced. Unfortunately, it didn't stop the leak. I then found the rubber tubing that carries the wiring from the body to tail gate wasn't seated properly in the car body so water was getting in there and running down on to the vent and then into the boot. I reseated the rubber tubing in the hole properly and haven't had a leak since.

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 12:30:39 am »
The vents habe been a coomon problem on Mk.IV Golfs.
I never heard of any issue on a Mk. V.
"You get what you pay for."

magicmuffinman

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 02:04:10 pm »
Try popping out the gromet out of both the rear light that sorted mine out when I had half a foot of water in mine! Luckily I had soundproofed the boot which protected the metal!

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 10:57:19 pm »
Bumpity to this, I had a good clean of the car yesterday and investigated and it seems the source of the water is in the two conduits carrying electrical cables from the vehicle to the hatch - they should be sealed securely to the vehicle but both of mine were flapping about. Water flows in through there and then into the spare wheel well!
I've secured one but on the other one the tab seems to be broken :S not sure how to fix it, but I might just apply a bead of silicon to seal them both.

...left the wire brush at work (I'm using it on my Karmann, which is stored there) and so didn't get a chance to clean it up; will do it next week I guess.