Make a donation

Author Topic: Favour please  (Read 4151 times)

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
Favour please
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:12:42 pm »
Hi all, I have just started getting into detailing my car after being an avid clean freak I have realised how poor my paintwork really is. I have used claybars/wax and got the surface really smooth. I really think it is more glossy than i have ever seen her in the past 6 months but she is not quite there. Still lots of swirl marks and those horrible little scrathces that wont buff out by hand.

My question is 'can I borrow anyone's polisher'?

Having a look on some of of the detailing forums it looks like i need a 'random orbital buffer' because it is less likely to cause damage for a newbie like me. I get the whole concept and would like to try it out before actually purchasing one.

If anyone is near the Guildford/Woking area I would be very appreciative of the good nature but I understand if everyone thinks im a bit cheeky, just say so.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Favour please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »
Have you thought about investing in one?

clicky
clicky

A dual-action polisher is what you mean. Can be bought reasonably cheaply and great for beginners.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:23:28 pm »
Hmmm not a bad price really. I just wanted to try before I buy but the easiest way would be to invest hey  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:01:49 pm »
If you have the space and time to polish a car, then it's worth buying your own. Even if it's just a finishing pad and minimally abrasive polish, you can get a nice finish. If you don't, it'd be better to get it done professionally.

Offline Ed30-Abz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:22:26 pm »
If you have the space and time to polish a car, then it's worth buying your own. Even if it's just a finishing pad and minimally abrasive polish, you can get a nice finish. If you don't, it'd be better to get it done professionally.

You say if you have the space - do you mean a garage ?

I was thinking of buying one myself, but I don't have a garage. Can you use outside when there's decent weather ?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:20:10 pm »
If you live on a main road, it'd be more difficult, though not impossible.

A drive way is gonna be better and means you can work around the car.

A large enough garage means you are protected from environmental dust etc which is important in paintwork correction.

When I used to live down south, I used to polish my car around the back of the maisonette. I lived on the ground floor and had access to the garage next to it. There wasn't much in the way of vegetation and the area was well protected from the main road so it was ideal for machining.

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:21:37 pm »

You say if you have the space - do you mean a garage ?

I was thinking of buying one myself, but I don't have a garage. Can you use outside when there's decent weather ?

Yeah I have the space but it is surrounded by horse fields with no roads, which im guessing if it is sunny and not windy should be as good as it gets (unless you have a double garage with sunlight strips everywhere)?

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:29:25 pm »
 popular idea is going halfers (50/50) with someone else share the cost.

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:27 pm »
popular idea is going halfers (50/50) with someone else share the cost.

Im going halves with my old man now. good idea sharing the cost as you will not use it that much in a year really will you!

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 04:35:48 pm »
been thinking about this more and more.
i wont be able to afford a pro detail on either mine or my gf's golfs so its def an investment i could make.
but i need to watch youtube/detailing world and pester some knowledgeable guys on here into teaching me......stealth??? :drinking: lol

so where does one learn to do this without ruining the car..altho my sons old clio will be the ginny piggy then the gf's which needs serious help, and then the mk5,if and only if i like the results i,m getting.
thanks OP for making me re think this whole thing!
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 04:37:49 pm »
theres another thread about a poss group buy for the kestrel mate....
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27180.0.html

if u and dad wanna jump in....???

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 05:14:29 pm »
i wont be able to afford a pro detail on either mine or my gf's golfs so its def an investment i could make.
An enhancement would be around £150 mark. It's paintwork correction that's expensive as it takes the most time and money.

but i need to watch youtube/detailing world and pester some knowledgeable guys on here into teaching me......stealth??? :drinking: lol
I wouldn't mind going over a few things with you but TBH you're best getting the knowledge you need from a professional. I lack the experience that they have. Some of the detailing companies do sessions - in fact I think one of them has one next week (but I cannot find the thread at the mo) - this would be far more beneficial as you get to play with all of the detailing equipment on scrap metal/test vehicles etc which is exactly what you want.

altho my sons old clio will be the ginny piggy then the gf's which needs serious help, and then the mk5,if and only if i like the results i,m getting.
thanks OP for making me re think this whole thing!
I started pretty much everything on the Golf GTI. I had ago at 2BM wash and claying on my old car, but it was the GTI where I started really getting into things.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 06:16:35 pm »
what sorta basic shopping list would i need mate.. i think i,m gonna have a play with a das pro on some old bangers and then get some lessons like you say.
thanks buddy
matsu

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »
what sorta basic shopping list would i need mate

Depends on what you have!

I presume you already know how to wash a car with 2BM and clay it. I also assume you have a glazing agent/sealant/wax.

I'd go polisher + pads + polishes - you can buy these in various packs/deals so you don't have to hunt around.
3M blue tape and lots of it. Maybe two rolls. You need to tape off bits like rubber trim etc.
Extension cord for polisher.
Some quick detailer spray - to moisten the pad so the polish doesn't dry out.
Optional:
 - smaller backing plate and pads for those trickier/smaller areas like boot lip.
 - IPA so you can mix it with water and wipe down the paintwork to remove polish residue.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 06:27:35 pm »
And read this guide: click