Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Intake ??  (Read 1798 times)

oldtomo

Air Intake ??
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:22:50 am »
Morning everyone,

Hope we are all looking forward to the weekend?

Can someone explain to me what the benefits of a upgraded cold air intake are?

Are there any brands of intake that people recommend?

Lastly if you mod the air intake is it then wise to upgrade the exhaust? Or does it not make a difference?

Cheers everyone for your help  :smiley:

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Air Intake ??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:11:43 pm »
Welcome oldtomo :happy2:

A cold air intake will allow the engine to breath better, giving the result of more power and a better reaction time to throttle input.

Most of the main contenders on here are ......

EVOMS
Neuspeed
DBILAS

Fitting the ones above mean that you would lose your stock engine cover.

Carbonio

This is a popular one with people who want that bit extra power and don't really want to lose the aesthetics of having the engine cover and comes with a pipercross filter (although some upgrade again to an ITG filter)

Upgrading the exhaust is always a good thing with a decent system (best results are from a full turbo back conversion). It isn't a necessity to change the exhaust though.

HTH :smiley:
Golf R gone.

oldtomo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:38:06 pm »
Hi Hurdy,

Thanks for the reply!

You have given me so much information recently that i almost feel like paying you a consultancy fee...  :grin:

So if the engine cover went would that have any impact on anything other than looks?

Cheers mate  :happy2:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:32:28 pm »
there is no impact on the car by removing the engine cover, you can buy replacement covers to fit with after market intakes like this to cover up the engine, not the sexiest but you can attach the silver tfsi from the original engine cover to make it look better.

the noise will increase by fitting most cold air intake some like it some don't, performance wise they will give you some gains but not massive.

not sure what mods you have, but I would put intake quite low down the list of priority after remap, exhaust, suspension

as there seem to be plenty of 300+hp cars without cold air intakes running very well.
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.