Make a donation

Author Topic: MOT tests from 2012 have new additions.  (Read 13283 times)

Saint Steve

Re: MOT tests from 2012 have new additions.
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »
Well dont worry about it then ?, get your dodgy mate to pass it for you, i fear others without a dodgy mate wont be so lucky.

Just reading this thread and thinking out loudly, I have to ask myself why Steve is so vehmently opposed to the notion that xenon lights don't fall under the HID catagory.
Could it be that from his sig picture, his car doesn't appear to have headlight washers and so won't pass the new MOT??   :popcornsoda:

I have nothing to worry out chap.

I have a good friend who's an MOT tester so it will pass  :P

My xenons and shutters are great, and shutters work, set on a lower setting.

If you read that last paragraph in the VOSA write up in section 1.7...what does it say about cars with firmer suspension? :P

Advisory can be given... Haha, so no I don't have to sell my new car stealthy  :booty:

Theres nothing dodgy Shaun, Ive been told by an MOT tester, that what im saying is correct (In my case). QD is saying otherwise, and wording it as if my setup will be included in this brief.

Its open to interpretation and as it clearly states, the examiners descretion should be used. Meaning if its a HID , ie HID bulbs in Halogen units, then these new rules WILL apply.

It says clearly, that if the car has firm or sporty suspention, that levelers are not a requirement. It also saying if washers are missing and levelers are not present then an advisory may be neccessary..

That in one sentance means it still wont be a failure..

If you dont think this is the case ,then why not call your local MOT centre and ask the question QD for clarification.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:04:09 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2011, 03:23:57 pm »
These new rules may be open to some interpretation, but my guess is that if there is any doubt on the tester's part they'll probably have some sort of database to refer to that will have a particular model's factory specifications.

There wouldn't be any point in bringing new rules into effect if the tester can just say "ah well, it's me mate's car so it passes". I reckon anyone without a full factory set-up could be on dodgy ground.

Saint Steve

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2011, 03:34:46 pm »
"Where headlamp and cleaning devices are missing or defective, but there is a doubt as to whether they are required,the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued"

Ok so where does it say, well if its a mates car, gonna let this one pass Simon??. There isnt any dodgy ground there !!!  :laugh:

Joking aside though , Im sure an MOT centre will NOT have every single make of car and every single model to tell whether it should be there, or if in fact is an optional extra from the manufacturers.

We know what should be there, but i fancy the chances of the tester knowing the ins and outs of a ducks arse, will make his decision a failure.

It says in black and white as ive posted.

I dont know if many people with MK5's have fitted these HID kits though?? .

Dont think ive seen many peeps post pics of these fitted either in any of the Mk5 forums.

But in the words been used before by the O.P

ETTO  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:50:16 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2011, 04:58:50 pm »
In all of this, some folks are ignoring what's called "the spirit of the law". If discretion is allowed on the part of the authority's officer (which to some extent it appears to be re MOT), then the tester (whether he personally knows Steve or not) is able to assess Steve's car as being one worthy of failure/advisory/pass as a whole specifically regarding its Xenon/HID installed headlights and any associated fittings. Clearly Steve's Mk5 GTI is not some chavved up boy-racer with dazzling lights - Which is what the new laws are trying to control.

So, unless Steve takes his car for MOT somewhere where the tester is an awkward bad tempered tin god bureaucrat, I reckon he'll pass that aspect.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:10:25 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:37 pm »
This is all getting a bit 'tit for tat'.  My purpose was to inform members of what i had read.  I think it is fairly black and white.

But very happy to be proven wrong, and I hope I am.

My last on the subject.

:happy2: