Make a donation

Author Topic: GTL Cleaning - help (Noobish question)  (Read 1206 times)

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
GTL Cleaning - help (Noobish question)
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:13:51 pm »
This is a bit of a newbie question, so used to driving round a clapped out 206 i never had the impitus to clean it........wanna make sure the golf is looked after, kept clean and polished?

I want to avoid heading over to Halfords and spending over the odds on rubbish products, can you guys recommend what the best stuff to buy for, Shampoo? Polish and generally anything else that you think is worth while?

Thanks!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Re: GTL Cleaning - help (Noobish question)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »
The shampoo I use:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_202085_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

The Alloy cleaner I use:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199237_langId_-1_categoryId_165682

The other stuff I have bought (based on recommendations) but not had a chance to use yet (planned for the bank holidays):

Clay: Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Polish: Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Sealant: Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109
Wax: Collinite 915
Tyre Dressing: Meguiar's Hot Shine Tyre Spray

When it comes to cleaning there are lots of products at all sorts of price ranges. So just go for recommended products in your price range.

Search the web for a few detailing guides as then you get an idea of what you need.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:30:12 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: GTL Cleaning - help (Noobish question)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:44:59 pm »
The best wax costs £10,000.  :P

I mention that because budget is important.

Halfrauds isn't always best - but there are some good things.

As above, meg's gold class shampoo is good.
Meg's smooth surface/quik clay kit is good.
You can think about Autoglym super resin polish for polishing.
wax is really down to choice, but sticking with autoglym, they have a good HD wax.
I love Megs hot rims but it can be strong - it works if diluted. Megs also do Endurance tyre gel.
As for rubber bits, Autoglym Bumper care, and for windows, autoglym fast glass.

Have a look through the detailing threads here to see what others have used. You'll pick up ideas and recommended products.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.