Make a donation

Poll

How many people have had porous/cracked head problems ?

never had a problem
head problems below 40k miles
head problems 40k - 70k miles
head problems 70k - 100k miles
head problems 100k - 130k miles
Head problems 130k+ miles

Author Topic: GT TDI 140 cylinder head poll  (Read 6477 times)

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
GT TDI 140 cylinder head poll
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:38:04 am »
I've just bought a 2004 GT tdi 140 with 104k miles, and then read about the porous head problems......

My coolant light came on yesterday so I'm a little worried now, should I be worried at this mileage, surely the porous/cracked head symptoms would have shown up before now ? I guess it could be the egr assembly leaking internally so I'll check that first if it comes to it. I've topped it up with G12 coolant and see how it goes.

Any other owners out there with similar problems, has anyone got an early 2.0 tdi that's been spot on ?

All comments (good or bad !) appreciated

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: GT TDI 140 cylinder head poll
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:52:01 am »
If you have a full VW service history you may get some goodwill assistance.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline pobmk4

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »
an 04 even with full service history is more than unlikely to get any goodwill from VW, but to be fair i havent done that many of these if you take it on the basis of how many i have worked at over the years (been working with VW from the last year of my apprenticeship - 9 years!!)

If the vehicle is left overnight and when you start  it first thing in the morning is is quite smokey (water vapour) ?? if so its more than likely the EGR cooler, but also be aware of small leaks at the corners of the radiators as this would be very common on the earlier models - and some people dont actually notice is as it may only leak slightly when warmed up!!!!

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:47:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies, maybe I'm worrying over nothing. There's no steam from the exhaust when starting from cold so it could be a slight leak from the cooling system that's evaporating when hot.

POBMK4, Have you actually had many BKD engines with head/head gasket problems or is it not quite as common as it seems to be ? Also, as you're in the trade, is there anything that comes to mind that seems to be a common issue with these cars ?
Thanks

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:25:07 pm »
I've still got my 04 GT TDI, had it from 30k miles, now on 59k miles.

Been remapped since about 35k miles and never had a problem.

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline pobmk4

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 10:00:33 pm »
I wouldnt say its a common thing - i mean for the majority of the BKD engined cars we see i can honestly say ive done about 6 cylinder heads - more commonly would be the EGR cooler, obviously you've heard about the problematic turbos, flywheels etc but beinig serious how many other manufacturers are having the exact same problems -------ALL OF THEM!! so its not any worse a car than the rest. I would say the 3C passat with the BKP is about a million times worse a car than the golf.

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:54:41 am »
Well that's good to know.
My car had a new dealer fitted turbo at 75K and a new clutch and DMF at 100k so hopefully that's the main problem areas sorted already.
Thanks for the replies so far.