Make a donation

Author Topic: GAP insurance - who did you use?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
GAP insurance - who did you use?
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:29:50 pm »
the popular one's seems to be:

click4gap.co.uk
ala.co.uk
directgap.co.uk

Anyone used any of these, like usual with insurance I hope I never have to use it but just seeing if anyone had any thoughts to any ..?

To give you an idea looking at RTI with £10k claim limit ranged from £113-£211

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: GAP insurance - who did you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:23:21 am »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:31 am »
thanks.

Still ala.co.uk seem the cheapest.  They advertise on autotrader too.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »
Are there any age related implications when considering gap cover ie - car has to be of a certain age.

As i need to think about this when i find the right ED30..
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:23 am »
Depends on what cover you want, RTI which I am looking at has to be taken within 90days of taking delivery of the car.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:11 am »
Depends on what cover you want, RTI which I am looking at has to be taken within 90days of taking delivery of the car.

Did you get a discount on the new car?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 10:08:03 am »
Yes, quite a bit and I thought about the replacement but then its almost double the cost - so it is really worth it.  If something happened and I got my money back then I would be happy.  Ok I wouldnt be able to get a like for like brand new but then I hope it doesnt come to this - better than no GAP at all I am thinking....

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:16 am »
Also - on the replacement it asks for invoice price - which is what I paid, not the cars value...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:45:13 am »
The S&P policy pays the cost of replacing the car which is what is going to be important to you.

When you say about double the cost for the Gap, really you'd only be talking about £100 or so.  Would you think twice about £100 for a modification??
Stu...

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:51:59 am »
FWIW - Just to add to this ... I know I am talking about a BMW but I would guess the principle is still the same with the dealers.

I have recently bought a 10 plated BMW 330d coupe ... Given it is on 'Select' finance I wanted GAP to cover RTI.

I thought BMW would be too expensive - especially when they started talking about £500 for £20K cover for 3 years !!! 

Having done a few searches on the internet I told them I could get the same cover for £205.  They had a think and came back to me saying they would do it for £210.  Given I had two BMW dealers before in the last 18 months refuse to budge below £275 for less cover I think it shows how low a dealer can go if they are inclined. 

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:10:30 am »
I was in a similar situation with Audi, they tried to match the third party price but I used S&P in the end.
Stu...

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 02:38:54 pm »
Stu, give yourself a pat on the back.

I called up S&P and asked them a few questions, to which they answered well.  Looking at £15k cover they were marginally more expensive that ala - he said if took it out today then he would beat there price - so got just over £35 knocked off.

So cover for 3yrs for £15k and on a replacement policy - should do the trick.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:36:49 pm by neg »

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »
Stu, give yourself a pat on the back.

I called up S&P and asked them a few questions, to which they answered well.  Looking at £15k cover they were marginally more expensive that ala - he said if took it out today then he would beat there price - so got just over £35 knocked off.

So cover for 3yrs for £15k and on a replacement policy - should do the trick.

Nice work - Hopefully you'll not need it mate.  :happy2:
Stu...