Make a donation

Author Topic: Why does the MK5 have less power than its rivals?  (Read 7464 times)

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Why does the MK5 have less power than its rivals?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 07:13:15 pm »
I think there a pretty cool engine most guys think there pants because of no turbo. Not a big fan of the new type r but the EP3 was imense if driven correctly and if it had the hondata it was in a different league altogether very very fun to drive! Oh and put a blower on them(supercharger) and most supercars would struggle!

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »
Back on subject! when you get on a track have a go against say a st225 or a vxr and i bet there is nothing in it!

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »
The point has been made I think,

Let's say a golf gti produces 230hp from 5k to 7k
A ford st produces 250bhp from 6.5 to 7k  for example, there is no point having 250bhp for a split second, it's all about the power band,

Haven't had my ed30 for long and do drive sensible, other day whilst on a nice private road in my back garden of a friends uncles sisters boyfriends dads brother in law  :smiley: I had trouble with a 156 alfa V6 (wasnt a race of any kind ad it was out of a junction) I just about pulled away  :surprised: speeds didn't get silly and I was only to 3rd gear,
But I'd like to see how they compare to the "BIG" machines, my dad has a 2000 impreza 2L turbo (standard) my car feels much faster than that, I just hope these alfas are as fast as they seem other wise summits wrong with eddy  :sad1:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »
You may be right. Although it says the ST is faster, just look at the lap time at the top :grin:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/comparisons/vw_golf_mk_v_gti-vs-ford_focus_st_facelift.html

A little more noticeable on the Astra VXR (Opel OPC)

http://www.fastestlaps.com/comparisons/opel_astra_opc_05-vs-vw_golf_mk_v_gti.html

Golf R gone.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 07:36:47 pm »
Is the Ed30 a better all rounder than the GTi?  

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 07:46:52 pm »
Dont go by what that site says. I seem to remeber there being a thread on lots of other forums were the figures were very out.

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 20
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »
To add a bit of a view from the other side of the fence, I have an Astra VXR. Now mine is stage 2, I've had it on the rollers and it made 297bhp and well over 300 lbs/ft. I bought it new 3.5 years ago. When standard it did have a hint of torque steer. I feel though that this has been used as a stick to beat the VXR with because Clarkson didn't approve of it. When treated with respect, the stock VXR does handle quite well. I added a set of eibach sportlines and a rear anti roll bar and it now handles quite well in my opinion.

I had a few run ins with Golf GTI's before I started adding the mods and in the real world, the vxr was quicker but only marginally.

Now though, 3.5 years down the line, my £20k VXR is worth about £10.5k, with the mods included. Take it back to standard and I'd probably be lucky to get £10k. For a 57 plate, immaculately looked after VXR with 35k miles on the clock  :sick:

The GTI however has held its value well, arguably handles better out of the box, looks better with a few mods and can be quite easily tuned. I want an ED30 but to get 1 the same age and condition as my VXR it will cost me £4-5k more than I can sell my VXR for.

Oh and for the record I'm on my second turbo!

0% Interest Free Finance Available On All Parts NOW
www.gnjmotorsport.com
info@gnjmotorsport.com  -  01254 883345
Facebook  -  Instagram

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 07:56:43 pm »
But for a car which has 40bhp more and it prob would gain max 3 car legnths on a gti. It just goes to show what i said about peak power. But again i find the VRS faster than the GTI. and in the real world it is especially after 100mph.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 08:32:13 pm »
I've had quite a few hot hatches  :driver: the Civic Type-R EP3 is great, it's really quick and fun to drive. It's all about thrashing it - some love it, some don't.

Had a focus ST next, loads & loads of torque from around 1200rpm right the way through the rev range. Sounds fantastic too, pols and bangs from standard exhaust and a great warble  :smiley: then I got scared after reading things on the forum about cylinder linings cracking :sad1: even on standard cars!

Next was a championship White civic type-r (new style). Has LSD as standard  :drool: and was fantastic fun to drive. Loads of grip through the corners and no slower than the golf on the straights. A bit too hard core for me in the end. That's when I got the golf. . . .
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

eddie87

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 08:33:40 pm »
Question is which is more fun to drive? !

Offline Scotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 08:51:52 pm »
Interesting points everyone, Scotsman how did you find the Subaru in comparison to the GTI?

I loved my Subaru's - had three of them over an 11 year period (with a couple Alfa's inbetween!) - and very different cars. The 4x4 in the winter was a godsend and the overall handling was very good too (I had the basic handling upgrades done, uprated drop-links and adjustable rear bar, etc). When the boost came on it really flew (I was running a ported VF35) but  I do prefer the daily power of my standard golf. It just feels more lively all the time and more of a 'sports' car. The Subaru was very safe and very fast but the golf feels more special. I think the interior has a lot to do with that too - I went from a pretty basic Impreza to a fully loaded Golf with all the toys.

I'll always be a big Subaru fan but loving the 5 door MkV I have and currently struggle to see what else can give me the driving fun and the practicality for the same price point.

Offline ongoing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »
coming from the EP3 Type R to the Golf, they are totaly diffrent cars,

i must admit i do miss the balls out of the Honda it was only 246 BHP NA so the golf would leave it behind but it always put a smile on my face.

The golf on the other hand is a much more balanced car ( i just cant wait to get it tuned)  :driver:  :signLOL:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 09:07:43 pm »
The reason the mk5 gti only had 200bhp was to bring the golf model range in line, if the BHP was any higher it would encroach on r32 sales and and there would be no room for the ed 30 to sit between them nicely in the hp stakes !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 09:00:11 am »
Question is which is more fun to drive? !

The championship White civic- when your in the mood. For every day driving the golf is much easier to drive.  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 10:31:27 am »

The reason the mk5 gti only had 200bhp was to bring the golf model range in line, if the BHP was any higher it would encroach on r32 sales and and there would be no room for the ed 30 to sit between them nicely in the hp stakes !

....And I think this is also why VW make it so difficult for aftermarket tuners to crack their ECU codes - It's much cheaper to remap than to buy the next model up.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!