Make a donation

Author Topic: windows switch  (Read 1734 times)

Offline tcyjohnny

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
windows switch
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:08:59 am »
Hi all,

Please tell me if I am being stupid, only had my golf 2 weeks.

When I have the driver side window down say 1/2 way, when I then pull the switch to pull the windows back up it'll only go up if I pull the switch on one click (there are two clicks on the swtich if you get what i mean) but if I pull the switch all the way to the top, the window will actually go all the way down????

And on the driver door, if I want to lower the passenger side window down (say 1/2 way), again pushing it 1 click down does not have an effect on it but the window will ONLY go down IF i push the switch all the way, meaning that it'll go all the way down if I don't pull it up at the desired level?

Any comments welcomed

added: sorry for the stupid typo and wording issues, the words aren't coming out of my brain right today!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:39:16 pm by tcyjohnny »

Offline bigkenny1781

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
Re: windows switch
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:18:29 pm »
My old '54 reg GT TDI did this - I suspect it's a safety function and is set-up this way.  I must say, it was bloody annoying , especially during cold/wet weather!

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:14:26 pm »
That doesn't sound quite right.

The switches respond so that either it works as one-touch eg one press down and the window will wind down until you press it again, or as press-and-hold so you have to keep the button held up/down for the window to go up/down.

If it's doing anything else, there's a fault somewhere, probably with the door switches.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline cuprajack

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:05:38 pm »
My 54 plate gt tdi does the same.  I thought it was some kind of safety feature?  It does the same when you try and wind your windows up automaticaly by holding the lock button on the remote.  Only goes 1/2 way then just stops....not good when your trying to impress the new girlfriend and end up having to run back out side in the pissing rain to do it from inside the car because of instead of your windows only being open a little bit, they are now jammed fully open!!!   :congrats: