Make a donation

Author Topic: Gas or Charcoal.......that is the question.  (Read 1882 times)

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Gas or Charcoal.......that is the question.
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:49 pm »
Hi guys,

Well hopefully summers on its way and after re-doing my garden last year I'm looking forward to spending alot of time in it this year!

Looking to get a new BBQ, had gas before but I always feel like I'm cheating  :grin:

Any recommendations?

TIA
Lee
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Gas or Charcoal.......that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:44:42 pm »
You cant beat a good charcoal BBQ for taste  :popcornsoda:

I've got half a oil drum for my BBQ  :evilgrin:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:48:40 pm »
Go for a charcoal Weber. I cook absolutely everything on mine.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:52:22 pm »
I'm swaying towards a Weber One touch ATM.

Like Damo said you cant beat the real charcoal flavour (and they do one in cream to keep the missus happy)

I keep telling her the BBQ is a mans domain  :signLOL:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:57:45 pm »
I'm swaying towards a Weber One touch ATM.

Like Damo said you cant beat the real charcoal flavour (and they do one in cream to keep the missus happy)

I keep telling her the BBQ is a mans domain  :signLOL:

Don't go near the cream one, it will look sh*t in no time because you'll not be able to keep is pristine.

Weber also do loads of different wood chips to add to the coals. I cooked a whole chicken in my last weekend with hickory wood chips and it was amazing.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:35 pm »
I've just let her read that as it's exactly what I told her!

And seeing as I'll be the one cleaning it............ I've just been looking one the Weber site and saw the chips and like the idea of smoking with the lid down.

Andrew what size have you got???

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »
I have the larger one, 57cm I think. I found that some of the accessories I wanted, like the warming rack and side table, were only available for the larger grill.

h4rdy

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:20:03 pm »
You cant beat a good charcoal BBQ for taste  :popcornsoda:

I've got half a oil drum for my BBQ  :evilgrin:

I watched a program about this and the BBQ society of GB were on it.

They said that the charcoal had nothing to do with the taste only the fat dropping off the food and onto the Charcoal/Volcanic rocks and back up onto the food affects the taste.

So it should be exactly the same.  :popcornsoda:

I personally prefer gas as it tends to not dry the food out so much and plenty of control especially when cooking chicken.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:27:01 pm »
The thing is, alot of the gas BBQ's don't have lava rock so you don't get the smoke.

Although I do agree on the control element and the fact its easy to start up on the spur of the moment.

I often cook steaks outside on my current gas BBQ to eat indoors just to save filling the house with smoke!

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:33:36 pm »
Used to love charcoal ... then bought a little £50 B&Q gas jobbie .... and have not looked back !

Food tastes better - mainly as it is not incinerated !!   Loads of control and you can decide to have a BBQ and 5 minutes later be cooking everything.

I never thought I would buy a gas BBQ .... but now would never bother with a charcoal one.

All I need now is a multiple burner big f*** off sized one .... and to tell the wife to stay away  :evilgrin:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:52:37 am »
Another vote for a charcoal webber  :happy2:

Google webber in-direct heat method, you get all the bbq taste without the incineration, cook whole chicken and all sorts in it

Gas is boring, some of the monstrosities you see now are just an outdoor oven and hob, where is the fun in that
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 08:50:32 am »
Exactly James, I love my little weber it's the small version of andrews buts it's more than big enough I've cooked barbies for a group of 8 of us and it was brilliant. Anyone who uses gas or a BBQ without a lid has been amazed by the flavours of the meat on the kettle as mentioned I use chips too they really add something wow to the meat I've nearly finished these jack Daniels ones that are really good. I've had mine a couple of years now and I don't let the weather stop me using it either! I've done barbies in rain and snow I love it!
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 09:20:13 am »
Yep, we're having family this Christmas and I'm planning on doing a loin of Venison in the Weber.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 11:30:15 am »
Well I,ve just ordered a Weber Performer.

It's basically a One touch with a gas ignition and trolley. Should make it quicker/easier to get going quickly.

As for the 'incinerated' food, most people I know don't know how to cook on charcoal and put the food on way too early.

It's far too hot and hence you get flare ups and black food!

Thanks for the tips guys and I'll def be getting myself some J.D chips  :happy2: