Make a donation

Author Topic: Road Bikes  (Read 912 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=t8k5ngr2jld1k63bcs31uv1dou&/topic,19740.0.html
Road Bikes
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:02 pm »
Evening all.

If thinking of getting a road bike to try and get a bit fitter and loose some weight. Also so i can make silly little journeys that i would otherwise make my jumping in my car and getting 10MPG.  :signLOL:

I dont want to spend a fortune... say £400-500. What are good makes and what do I need to avoid?

Rich

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
Re: Road Bikes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:06:43 pm »
I'd be inclined to go for a hybrid flat barred bike rather than a road bike proper. The proper racing bikes are prone to punctures and aren't as comfortable due to high tyre pressures. Hybrids have slightly fatter tyres in 700C guise and much fatter tyres in 26" models. These sizes are more commonly available with an anti flat kevlar band in them.

I have one of the Marin Urban range which is basically an MTB with no suspension and slick tyres. Novato I think it's called.

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Road Bikes
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:22:44 pm »
Rich, you won't go far with the big brands.  You want to be looking at something like a Specialized Allez, Giant Defy, Cannondale CAAD 8 and the like.  If you're buying new, then most (if not all) will offer a lifetime warranty on the frame and one or two years on parts.

If you see yourself just pottering about and going to the shops and back then I'd maybe consider a hybrid bike but if you see yourself getting into your cycling a bit more seriously and maybe entering the odd sportive and challenge ride then I'd go for a road bike.  On a flat handle barred bike you can't adjust your position on those longer rides whereas on a road bike you can shift about from the tops, the brake hoods and the drops.  

My top tip would be to go and visit a good bike shop and try test riding any bike you like the look of.  Make sure you get sized up properly if you don't know what size you are already.  

There are some excellent road tyres out there including some 700 x 25 which have a slightly taller side wall profile which are a bit more compliant than your standard 700 x 23 road tyre.  Frame size and geometry are the biggest factors affecting ride comfort not tyre pressure IMO.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:27:22 pm by JJ »