Make a donation

Author Topic: Rant - mindless drivers  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Jack Rabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Born on Beat
    • Email
Re: Rant - mindless drivers
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 08:51:48 am »
If I overtake I do so on the right and legally, our driving styles are different. If I am being held up then so be it, if I can safely overtake and feel the need to I would.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 09:45:29 am »
nothing wrong with undertaking if you remain in your lane, it is when you change lane to undertake issues arise so just have to be careful how you do it.

ie you are on a three lane motorway - you are in lane one, there is a car in lane 2 and the lane 3 is empty - if you are travelling at say 70mph in lane 1 and the car in lane 2 is going 60mph you can continue to pass him in lane 1

if your been undertaken regularly then your simply in the wrong lane and driving with out due care and attention

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56:50 am »
I do a lot of miles and this is easily my biggest frustration with other drivers, i can normally count 10 to 15 middle lane dreamer's on each trip, it used to wind me up so much, i would think about just barging them back into the inside.  :laugh:
It still annoys me, but i found a way to ease my frustration. As you say you cant undertake so what i do is pull up right along side them in the first lane and just stay there right along side them as long as i can i always keep looking straight ahead, and if we come up on vehicles that need overtaking, i just slot in behind them then start the process again. I find it makes them uncomfortable and makes them think about what they are doing, rather than being aggressive with them, and having them think it's me who is the nutter. Yes they will carry on doing it because they have little understanding of reading traffic flow and conditions, but it makes me feel better and stops me from knocking them off the road, Mad Max stylee.  :driver:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 10:26:08 am »
40 everywhere drivers do my nut in too, especially on country roads. they will poddle along at 40 in a 60 so you overtake them at a safe opportunity then you come to a village where the limit is 30 and slow down to respect it, before you know it you have the car you just overtook on your arse as they continue doing 40 through the village  :stupid:

middle lane hoggers and these morons are part of the reason I really only drive early weekend mornings now  :driver:

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Jack Rabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Born on Beat
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 11:50:49 am »

I don't normally undertake because generally it's not normally needed. The only time I do it routinely is on the motorway

i stress i'm not making this personal i assure you, but just to add some education to the matter and to demonstrate the illegality of your driving style:

the law does state:

- only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so

- stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

so unless your in a queue on the motorway you are breaking the law, likewise on a single or dual A/B road unless the vehicle in front is leaving the road via a right turn you are also breaking the law.

Being held up like i've said can be frustrating but its merely that.

With regards to people driving too slowly this mainly relates to bigger vehicles and necessity, the law states:

- Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

The highway code and traffic law is something maybe from time to time people should refresh themselves with  :happy2:

hope this has helped

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 12:28:00 pm »
The middle lane hoggers on motorways are ridiculous now adays its almost like people have forgotten the whole pre-tense of a multi carriageway road, it isn't for slow medium and fast vehicles it is a single carriageway with over-taking lanes.  I have seen people join a motorway driving at 60 and immediately pull across from the empty inside lane into the middle lane its just ridiculous and cause massive traffic flow issues on the over-crowded UK motorway system.

I can completely understand what Stealth is saying and I have been guilty of under-taking on motorways in situations other than those Jack Rabbit has mentioned as strictly legal.  The only alternative is often a brisk move from Inside lane to outside lane and back again which presents its own safety issues on a busy motorway especially when they "middle lane dreamers" all seem to travel around in little packs following each other.  :fighting:

In those circumstances where I am prevented from pulling across to over-take the middle lane car or will have to brake on the motorway in such a way that can cause others to negatively react I will stay in lane and undertake the car but I am always on edge and alert that they might decide to make a manoeuvre without correctly checking their mirrors.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »
Yeah I've come across some silly drivers who do silly things for no apparent reason. My current bugbear is drivers who don't seem to know what the national speed limit sign means. There's a route to work that I sometimes take. It starts off as a 40mph road, turns into a NSL dual single carriage way and then turns into a 30mph road. There are a lot of drivers who drive at 40mph and then stay at that speed throughthe NSL section. They then seem to get pissed off when I legitimately overtake them. Worse still, these drivers remain at 40mph when the speed limit reduces to 30mph!  :stupid:

this is my major bugbear - people who think that driving at 40mph is ok everywhere. When they enter a 30 zone they just carry on - do they not realise they are now going 10mph over the speed limit and that if they do hit a kid they are a lot more likely to kill them that at 30-33  :stupid:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 03:09:56 pm »
If I overtake I do so on the right and legally, our driving styles are different. If I am being held up then so be it, if I can safely overtake and feel the need to I would.
You make it sound like I only ever undertake.

i stress i'm not making this personal i assure you
And yet you misquote me:

I don't normally undertake because generally it's not normally needed. The only time I do it routinely is on the motorway

- stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

This is where I normally undertake on the motorway. At all other times, if needed, I will overtake.

If I haven't stressed it enough, I'll do it again. I do not normally undertake. I will where necessary eg car in right lane is waiting to turn right. I will undertake when in heavy traffic and my lane moves faster than those on the right. I have never had points on my license nor do I intend to.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 03:33:00 pm »
I've long come to the realisation that people don't know what this sign means:

One day, I may decide to fit something that can fire HEIAP rounds so I can get rid of middle lane hoggers and stay in the left lane!  :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 09:05:04 am »
I dont just think its that sign, its most of them they've forgot aswell as most of the highway code... My main bug bears are, middle lane hoggers, people who you go to overtake who speed up as you get alongside them and finally people who don't say thanks

I have noticed its normally in and around major towns and cities people forget to drive

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 12:55:10 pm »
My pet hate is people in the outside lane of a dual carriageway going no quicker than those in the left lane. If you're in the right lane, over take, dont sit there like a moron.

Its especially frustrating when going over a roundabout, people exit in the right hand lane, then spend about 10 minutes sitting there before finally deciding to pull over. does my nut.

had that the other day, single lane road onto a roundabout, dual carriageway the other side for 500 yards, stuck behind some moron of a women in an Audi A2 (dreadful car, says it all really). i thought ooo great, i can despatch her and get on with my day instead of sitting behind her as if i have all the time in the world. she gets to the dual carriageway, only for her to exit in the right hand lane(why, there's no one else around!!!), and then stays there all the way to the traffic lights at the end. i nearly hit the roof! lol

shouldn't be on the road. completely oblivious to what she's doing.
Candy