Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo Stage 1, 2 & 2+ on 97 RON?  (Read 4949 times)

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Revo Stage 1, 2 & 2+ on 97 RON?
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:24:27 pm »
Hi guys!

When I eventually find the right Edition 30 my end goal will be to have it Revo'd to Stage 2+. The only thing bugging me is 99 RON fuel is very hard to get hold of near me, and the best I can get is Jet 97 Ron. As long as this was in the tank when the car was mapped would it run ok? What sort of BHP or Torque would I be missing out on by not using 99 RON?

Thanks

George

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Revo Stage 1, 2 & 2+ on 97 RON?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »
an option alot of americans and a few on here have done is to install water methanol injection.  The methonal gives the same effect you would have from using much higher octane fuel, whilst the water gives you additional cooling.  so in essence you wouldnt lose any power at all

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:33:16 pm »
Yea I've heard and seen water/meth being used before but I'm not a fan of it, too many stories of blocked nozzles etc. To be honest I'd rather be a little down on power rather than have something else to worry about.

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:25:23 pm »
I'd also like to know this - more specifically the difference between using 97 and 99 on Stage 1.

The nearest Tesco 99 station is nearly 6 miles away from me and my daily commute so it's not really feasable for me to use it! :sad1:
Steel Grey Edition 30 DSG

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:34 pm »
I used to have a supercharged Cooper S with a smaller pulley and therefore running more boost which required 99 octane. My local Tesco garage doesn't offer 99 octane and the nearest Shell is 12 miles away, very frustrating making the 24 mile round trip, especially when they have run out!

Even my nearest 97 octane retailer is 11 miles away, but I'm there most weekends so I'd just brim the tank each weekend no matter what I already had in there.

All depending on what Revo can offer based on 97 octane fuel?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:23:25 am »
Your Revo tuner can set up any stage of tune for any grade of fuel, I have tuned plenty of stg2+ cars for 95ron users that live in Northumberland and cant readily get 98+ fuel.

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:39:19 am »
Thanks for the reply, what figures were achieved with 95 and 97 RON on the 2.0 TFSI??

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 08:38:40 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm against octane booster, I don't believe it truely raises the RON level of the fuel, it's also bloody expensive! I'd rather have a car de tuned to run on 97 octane, I can't imagine I'm missing out on THAT much BHP / FT LBS?

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:21:49 pm »
well they do and they work.

its not about just maximising bhp/torque...higher octane fuel helps prevent onset of pre ignition known as pinking / detonation.

that will kill your engine if you run too much boost with crap fuel.

but of course if the map is done properly it will cater for this and not run much boost.

Personally i think its a waste of money remapping if ur stuck using 95 RON.

that silkolene one treats 2 tanks of fuel. so £7.50 per tank. and you think thats expensive?

What till ur engine go bang then.  also....what's the price difference between 95 RON and 99 RON fuel? I reckon 10p diff per litre...so on 1 tank that's £5-£6.

But hey its ur car so you do what u think is right.  :happy2:

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 09:28:59 pm »
I know exactly what the issues are, my supercharged Cooper S would only run on 99 Octane, under heavy load anything else would cause it to pink. If you read my original post I can get 97 Super Unleaded, just not 99. I just wanted to know how much BHP / FT LBs I would be missing out on by having the car tuned to 97 RON rather than 99 RON. The car will be used daily and over 15,000 miles a year, due to my locality simply having a car that relies on 97 RON will be troublesome enough, let alone having to worry about Water/Meth along or octane boosters.

Again like I pointed out in my original post, I will fill the car with the fuel I intend to use throughout it's ownership (Jet Super Unleaded 97 RON) each time it's mapped. I'm not going to take it for mapping with 99 RON and then run the car on 97 or 95  :happy2:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 10:35:12 am »
I run Shell V-power, have a V-Power card and make sure I enter the coupons for bonus points... this I feel helps towards the cost of 95RON and Vpower...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:30 am »
´Personally i think its a waste of money remapping if ur stuck using 95 RON´

not really, as long as the map is correct for the fuel grade then significant gains can be achieved, just look at some of the figures the guys in the states are safetly echieving on the TFSi with low ron fuel.

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 10:41:10 am »
Spoke to Carl from Revo yesterday regarding this, he was very helpful and put my mind totally at rest. I won't quote the figures, but the loss of power / torque that I would suffer from by having the car mapped on 97 rather than 99 wasn't much at all, and only really important if you're chasing numbers. On the road you I'm sure you wouldn't notice the difference.

Out of interest PDT it would be nice to see some of these threads you're talking about?

I think I'm right in thinking that in the US they rate fuel by AKI (Anti Knock Index) so our 95 RON would be their 90-91 AKI and our 98 RON would be their 93-94 AKI. That means our 97 RON must be their 92-93 AKI