Make a donation

Author Topic: Fuel Brittania  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Jack Rabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Born on Beat
    • Email
Fuel Brittania
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:22:14 am »
Heads up if you use supermarket fuels, Morrisons - spend over £40.00 in store and get a voucher for 6p off a litre on fuel.

:happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Fuel Brittania
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:47:47 am »
whats the highest grade fuel morrisons do though

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:14 am »
just tried googling it.  I can only find info on morrisons 95ron fuel.  that aint going anywhere near my car

Offline Jack Rabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Born on Beat
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:56:39 am »
fair enough  :smiley:

just happens that i also own a diesel so i found it useful, thought others might too  :happy2:

Offline s4lek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »
just tried googling it.  I can only find info on morrisons 95ron fuel.  that aint going anywhere near my car

speaking to an old chap last week , he was telling me it's all a big con regarding unleaded and super.
He uses normal 95ron in all his cars.  He's currently driving a rs5 his last car was a r8 . Shall I take his words with a pinch of salt or is he right.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:29:06 pm »
my last car was mapped and it ran like a bag of nails on anything less than 98 ron

Offline s4lek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »
He seems to know alot about cars, he's a ex rally driver, hence I don't understand why
he would put 95 ron in an Audi RS5

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:44:58 pm »
just tried googling it.  I can only find info on morrisons 95ron fuel.  that aint going anywhere near my car

speaking to an old chap last week , he was telling me it's all a big con regarding unleaded and super.
He uses normal 95ron in all his cars.  He's currently driving a rs5 his last car was a r8 . Shall I take his words with a pinch of salt or is he right.

The TFSI has been as standard designed and mapped to run on 98 ron or above, anything less like 95 ron will cause combustion issues as the burn front will be wrong (either the fuel wont burn quick enough to keep up with the piston movement or you will get pre-ignition burn before the piston has moved), the ECU is able to compensate for this by adapting the map that it uses to avoid 'knocking' this will involve pulling timing or other parameters to ensure that the fuel burns evenly and in time with the piston movement.

This will result in a loss of power across the rev range and can also increase fuel consumption (as you have to use more throttle to achieve the same power levels and therefore same level of acceleration).

In summary your engine will run on standard 95 ron fuel but you wont have the power you should, thats what VW do to make sure they can sell there cars in all markets some which have far poorer quality fuel than the UK.  as janner has mentioned mapped cars are different, the principal is that the head room VW built into the map is removed to allow greater performance but this is the head room generally used for inconsistent fuel so most mapped or tuned cars will need to run exclusively on higher octane fuel.

So the old chap isnt telling you the whole story I'm sure all his cars managed to run on 95 ron fuel but frankly if you are spending that much on a car especially a turbo charged RS5 its a bit pointless if you dont give it the higher octane fuel.  The R8 I can imagine made no difference as its an older normally aspirated engine.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:01:28 pm by Richn83 »

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »
on briskoda there are loads of threads with guys trying to save money on fuel with the new vRS by using 95 ron instead of 98ron.  I personally think its stupid.  its only about £2.50 more per tank and you will get more mpg with higher ron fuel, so that cancels out even further.

go and by a diesel if it bothers you that much, not a performance hatch :laugh:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:58:10 pm »
So the old chap isnt telling you the whole story I'm sure all his cars managed to run on 95 ron fuel but frankly if you are spending that much on a car especially a turbo charged RS5 its a bit pointless if you dont give it the higher octane fuel.  The R8 I can imagine made no difference as its an older normally aspirated engine.

RS5 is NA  :confused: http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a5/rs5-coupe/powerful-v8-engine.html

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 03:02:10 pm »
Sorry was thinking of the engine in the RS3 one of the fast 5's has a turbo unit either V5 or V6 there is one in the station car park I look at every day.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:04:20 pm by Richn83 »

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 03:04:46 pm »
which audis use the new 3.0TFSI.  that must be an awesome  engine when mapped.   V6 and supercharger would sound pretty cool, especially with a full exhaust

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 03:09:08 pm »
just looking off of hedges link the S5 has the 3.0 V6 TFSI is it supercharged?  thought that defeated the point as it drains the horse power.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 03:10:53 pm »
it does at the very top end, but you gain power in bottom end, which is where you are on a daily basis, so unless you drive at 5-6k everywhere a supercharger is great.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 04:35:40 pm »
The S4 is one of the cars I've been looking at. 430bhp on just a remap, but the fuel consumption is a little on the thirsty side :surprised:
Golf R gone.