Make a donation

Author Topic: Armrest Fitting - 2 questions  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
Armrest Fitting - 2 questions
« on: April 18, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »
Hi all,

I'm going to be retro fitting an Armrest and have looked at the fitting guide on here but still have two quick questions -

Firstly with the old console part removed, are there pre drilled holes for the new armrest to be bolted onto or does it bolt into the same holes as the old part?

Second does anyone know if there's a part number for a screw/bolt pack for retro fitting?

Cheers all

:happy2:

Black GTI, DSG, Cruise control, MFD2,  Leather, MFSW with paddles, Parrot kit, Xenons, CD Changer, Armrest, Come home lighting/puddle lights, mod list in glovebox waiting for some cash and sunny weather....

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Armrest Fitting - 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:33:03 pm »
hey redev, where did you get the armrest from? has it got a cloth top or a leather one?

im in the same posistion as you, really wanna get 1 of these installed....!

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:37 pm »
I spent the best part of two weeks checking Breakers yards for one and was lucky to pick up one on Saturday morning  :smiley:

Also picked up a CD changer the week before so i just need to find time to fit it all!

Its a cloth one which matches the colour of my leather interior however if some one has a leather pad that they want to swap plus a few quid feel free to step forward!

Black GTI, DSG, Cruise control, MFD2,  Leather, MFSW with paddles, Parrot kit, Xenons, CD Changer, Armrest, Come home lighting/puddle lights, mod list in glovebox waiting for some cash and sunny weather....

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:02:51 pm »
Hi Andy,  The fitting points for the armrest is the same as the cup holder and all screw points are already in place for fitment so no drilling is required.  I had a cloth cover in my car for nearly a year before I got round to changing it for leather and its a good colour match.  Leather top from the stealer is about £60 new if you decide to take the plunge but bear in mind that your seats will likely have changed colour over the course of there lives so will need some tlc for a good colour match  :happy2: 

the flash doesnt help in normal light it looked closer.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:28:49 pm »
ahh, right will need to have a look at a couple of breakers then....

what exactly did you remove from the car cause looking at pictures it looks as if the bit in the middle has been replaced as i cant see the cupholders in the central colum (not sure what its called, bit leading up to the gear stick)

.........am i making any sense?!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 04:40:25 pm »
pictures ive posted are just the difference between the cloth top and leather top.  The bit that would have been there originally was cup holder behind the gear stick, you also replace the plastic cover that lifts up down the back of the gear stick, screws are under rubber matt.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:48:43 pm »
Hi Rich,

Seems easy enough to replace in that case - the colour match on the leather looks good so i think that'll be on the cards at some stage.

janus909GTI there are cup holders underneath the roll top pictured - you don't have to replace that part, the Armrest replaces the end of the console surrounding the Handbrake and the area between the seats...

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 05:04:20 pm »
i see... thought that was the case! cool....def need to find myself one! Did you just go down the breakers and remove it, or did they do it for you and include all the screws, etc? how much was it!

another question (sorry bout this, ive taken over your posting with all my newbie questions) do you know where to get that cover that goes over the cup holders?

Cheeeers!  :driver:

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:23:10 pm »
i see... thought that was the case! cool....def need to find myself one! Did you just go down the breakers and remove it, or did they do it for you and include all the screws, etc? how much was it!

another question (sorry bout this, ive taken over your posting with all my newbie questions) do you know where to get that cover that goes over the cup holders?

Cheeeers!  :driver:

Great minds! PM'd!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:14 am »
Janus,  You need to replace the whole unit

The whole arm rest needs to be out so best done when installing the arm rest unit and its a couple of screws but its very fiddly but well worth it  :happy2:  I did mine when installing the pipe for the rear air vents in the armrest.

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 09:28:40 am »
So just managed to source an armrest which has been pulled from another Gti with the same trim, being delivered on wednesday......im not bothered about the central console as id have more use for the drink holders over the slidey storage thingy (although it does look better)............

im hoping to just replace from the hand break ........ from what i can see, 3 screws will allow me to lift that cover off then im hoping its just a case of sliding the new rear arm rest back on and hopefully resecuring it using the 3 same screw holes, is that the case???

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 10:00:57 am »
pretty much  :happy2:

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 10:32:29 am »
just spoke to the breaker yard, i just double checked before i paid for it, it has a void in it where the CD changer would have been, thats no good really is it? i need some sort of plastic scoop in replacement so that it doesnt look stupid and i can put stuff in it etc??.........?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 11:13:02 am »
covered before get hold of the single din plastic trim from a ibiza etc that goes below the stereo should be lots of them knocking around, or buy a CD changer or ipod changer, or you can change the trim piece for a storage container.