Make a donation

Author Topic: Why did I drive one?  (Read 4604 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
Why did I drive one?
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:20 am »
I made the mistake of driving a bmw135i, coupe, 2009, 6000miles, tight as a drum and loved it.

Downsides= poverty spec, petrol costs (I think slightly worse than I get at present), and an insane ability to lose your licence.  :driver: to pay circa £120 more per month to finance (not too much of an issue really). Runflats.

Upsides= newer car, a change, Fast as fook, LSD.

My gut feel says hang onto the gti she is running like a dream and in 2 years, after saving for a maintenance pot, get myself a good 911 c4s.

I'd still like to try a 123d and see how I'd get on in the real world with one though I do have a hankering for a newer ride, but after coming from a fully loaded gti with every toy it's a hard step to go back to a buggy (if you could ever call a BMW 135i a basic buggy).

The grass is always greener etc.

Nasir

Re: Why did I drive one?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:04:18 am »
I've read great things about the 135i. However some are prone to the HPFP fault, I didn't know it had an LSD. I would wait until the 1M comes out, maybe prices will drop a little?

Btw I heard the exhaust pops when you let go of the accelerator at high revs :drool:

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:18:28 am »
911 C4S would win for me everytime  :driver:

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:39:30 am »
I saw one of these destroy a Porsche today. It was an x reg 911 something and they were both flying. Porsche driver wasn't happy!
GTI going...

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:42:40 am »
I looked at that engine in a Z4 & a 135i ... and yes, it is fast ... but also does about 22mpg.  I think you may see 30mpg on a run if you are lucky ... but if you use all the power then fuel consumption will be  :scared:

I looked at a white 135i DCT ... but ended up with a 330d ... sound and performance are the bits of a car I love ... but 40mpg won the day over - and I still get 0-60 in 6 secs  :laugh:

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:13 am »
Indeed, the exhaust burbled and popped but to hear it you really needed the windows down!

I guess the toys are not essential really, performance is King but I am friendly enough with the Petrol Attendants they may think I am stalking them if I get this.....

(not that much more really in all seriousness than the GTI).

It IS tempting though...

OR....

similar money....but the upkeep and the risks/costs of ownership are much higher with the lovely c4s....

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:22:53 am »
135i is a future classic, these will be very sought after soon when people start realising their potential.

Porkers are lush, but by god they cost to run.
Sideways yo!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:25:30 am »
135i classic  :signLOL: the engine yeah but the looks  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:48:55 am »
^^^ took me a while to come round to appreciate the 1 series, but tbh anything but the coupe is still a miss for me personally.

Offline Jack Rabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Born on Beat
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:27:28 pm »
BMW's:

Nice power, good looks with the range toppers, dullest car on the market internally and thats where you sit and when it snows EVERYONE laughs at you for owning one  :laugh:

I love the look of the M3 but even that wouldnt make me own one

I know i said snow, and it is summer but even the 4x4 BMWs are laughed at, school run vehicles when the suns out... obstacles when the winter hits...

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »
Single make forums - tsk!!

I drive X, everything else is crap. Read the reviews for the 135i, the modern day E30 M3 apparently. I think I could live with being laughed at for the 3 days a year it snows.

Anything RWD is a pain in the snow, you'd not fancy an Aston Martin, SLS Merc......
Sideways yo!

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 02:25:18 pm »
^^^^ it does indeed get a fantastic write up.....

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 02:27:53 pm »
I'd also wager if people used winter tyres, they'd be ok. Most of Europe seem to manage it.
Sideways yo!

Offline Jack Rabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Born on Beat
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 04:12:59 pm »
Single make forums - tsk!!

I drive X, everything else is crap. Read the reviews for the 135i, the modern day E30 M3 apparently. I think I could live with being laughed at for the 3 days a year it snows.

i did say i like the power and outside styling of the high end models  :innocent:

...and for the record ive owned many marques and currently i dont just own a vw either  :P

i'm allowed to dislike the interior and have an opinion  :drinking:

..to me they are dull, boring and filled with yawn  :indifferent:

..mercs dont corner

..astons dont do it for me  :wink:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 04:26:03 pm »
^^^ took me a while to come round to appreciate the 1 series, but tbh anything but the coupe is still a miss for me personally.

+1

Can't bring myself to accept the hatchback version :sick:

Wouldn't mind a 135i coupe myself :happy2:, but its out of my price range :sad1:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦