Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake Warning Light!!!  (Read 17892 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Brake Warning Light!!!
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:59:08 pm »
Two nights ago when I was dropping my brother off home, I parked up outside his place for 5-10 mins, and was sitting in the car with the ignition on (engine off).

Then get this beep sound and a flashing handbrake light on the dash. Caught me off guard and thought there was a problem with the handbrake.

Anyway started the car and the light went away so ignored it and drove home, the brakes seemed fine.

Went shopping last night and it happened again a few mins after parking up. This time I noticed a written notice on the mdf: "STOP! Brake Fluid, Owners Manual!" That got me worried.

Had a search when getting home (online, not checked the manual) and narrowed it down to the following:

- Front brake pads worn
- Low brake fluid, which can also indicate rear brake pads worn

Pretty sure the front outer pads are fine (so assumed the front inner are fine as well) as noticed them when getting tyres changed.

Not sure about the rear.

What do you guys reckon?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Brake Warning Light!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:31:15 pm »
get your manual out!  :grin:

And also pop your bonnet look at your brake fluid reservoir and do a visual inspection on your rear pads should be visible through the wheel spokes.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:21:54 pm »
get your manual out!  :grin:

And also pop your bonnet look at your brake fluid reservoir and do a visual inspection on your rear pads should be visible through the wheel spokes.

I'm glad you're only asking me to whip my manual out :wink: :laugh:, but as usual I was expecting the manual to tell me to go to the stealer and get ripped off so didn't bother.

Would you be able to see the rear inner pad through the spokes of a Monza II?

Also a heads up on the location of the brake fluid reservoir would be appreciated.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »
As long as the spoke is in the right (or wrong) place then you should be able to I have inspected mine before with wheel on, and have about 4-5mm on my rears at present.

The brake fluid reservoir is back left between the coolant header tank and the back of engine cover should be a little reservior with yellow is liquid inside and a big black screw on lid with a cable plugged in to it.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:34:41 pm »
Aye. Check your brake fluid isn't low and that the sensor looks okay.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:15:35 pm »
As long as the spoke is in the right (or wrong) place then you should be able to I have inspected mine before with wheel on, and have about 4-5mm on my rears at present.

The brake fluid reservoir is back left between the coolant header tank and the back of engine cover should be a little reservior with yellow is liquid inside and a big black screw on lid with a cable plugged in to it.

Can the brake fluid reservoir be seen/reached without taking the engine cover off?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:38 pm »
yes its obvious and should be a weekly inspection on the level so is easily visible. 

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »
yes its obvious and should be a weekly inspection on the level so is easily visible. 

Ok Thanks Rich :happy2:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:27 am »
An update:
I have checked the reservoir and it's not really that easy to see the level but looks on the low side.

The rear outer pads have about 4-5mm left. I have read that the inner pad usually wears quicker so I assume it would be lower. I am planning on changing the rear pads.

Have a few questions:

1 - Best places to get the pads? (was thinking TPS/GSF)
2 - Is it worth replacing the discs at the same time? (Not much of a lip but thought may as well)
3 - Have read that I will need a 14mm triple square socket driver to remove the carriers?
4 - Also read about needing a piston tool and copper grease?

Anything else I need to know about as this will be my first pad change on the GTI.

Thanks

Offline goranot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:05 am »
Just had a new set of pagid pads and discs from CRN Products cheaper than TPS or GSF and they also do them Grooved/Drilled with Zinc coating including in price..well they did for me so should do so for anyone else also..

Give Olly a call on 01246 559933 and tell him you got number from Hafeez and I'm sure he'll be able to beat any price..

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 12:02:52 am »
Just had a new set of pagid pads and discs from CRN Products cheaper than TPS or GSF and they also do them Grooved/Drilled with Zinc coating including in price..well they did for me so should do so for anyone else also..

Give Olly a call on 01246 559933 and tell him you got number from Hafeez and I'm sure he'll be able to beat any price..

Are the pagid pads/discs OEM?

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:13 am »
Can anyone confirm question 3 about the 14mm triple square socket driver?

EDIT:

I read elsewhere that it will be required, so ordered of the bay :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:35:10 am by Kalpsn2000 »