Make a donation

Author Topic: HPFP's - Why did you choose yours?  (Read 15604 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
HPFP's - Why did you choose yours?
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:03:58 pm »
Just interested to know why people have chosen either the internals kits (like Autotech, KMD, etc) or a fully built APR pump?

Is the APR hype really worth the difference or is a properly fitted internals kits just as good?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: HPFP's - Why did you choose yours?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:05:04 pm »
opens a cold tinny and gets a ring side seat.  :popcornsoda:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:05:46 pm »
I am hoping for a clean fight  :grin: :grin:

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:13:10 pm »
I chose autotech as I wanted to fit myself and it was not a apply to the bank for a loan amount of money thanks to PDT  :happy2:

Edit also I would like to see the internals of a Apr to see the difference as I bet most the price comes from it being a new pump apart from the new internals.!!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:16:18 pm by TrickGTI »
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:54 pm »
money no object id go apr as it doesnt have the stepped design (which according to JKM is the cause of the seals failing on the autotech pumps).  

However at the time i thought it was just another overpriced APR product and i went for autotech HPFPs as more guys were using it than any other

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 09:24:25 pm »
I chose apr on my old ed30 purely for peace of mind, read a few too many stories of rebuilt ones going wrong and after spending £22k on the car plus another few grand plus the rest  on mods :ashamed:  whats another few hundred for a quality piece, tried and tested   :happy2:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:24:46 pm »
Is this question for when you choose a pump for a MK5???

APR all the way.  Spend the money, get the performance.

This is all from my experiences using, fitting and repairing different pumps.

KMD - I have had loads of failures that have cost lots of money to fit.  When they had the coating, they would sieze, break the follower and fook the cam.  I hear they are better now they have done away with the coating, but their customer support was a joke.

Autotech - Not had a problem with these apart from the way they can allow fuel to pass through the seal and mix with the oil.  Bad news for rings, bores and bearings.  Personally, I have only felt the horrible 5.5k flat spot with the autotech pumps.

APR - fully built, tested and ready to go, great customer support too.  Piston design wont put pressure on the seals and there is a larger surface area on the follow which seams to cause less wear on the followers.  I have APR's fitted to loads of cars inc X-bows which are abused for hours on track days and are still perfect.  Ive not had any pressure drops or flat spots on the cars ive fitted the pump to.

:drinking:
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:13 pm »
Reasons why I went with the APR pump are summed up here - http://www.goapr.com/products/fsi_fuel_pump.html  :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:02 pm »
Is this question for when you choose a pump for a MK5???

APR all the way.  Spend the money, get the performance.

This is all from my experiences using, fitting and repairing different pumps.

KMD - I have had loads of failures that have cost lots of money to fit.  When they had the coating, they would sieze, break the follower and fook the cam.  I hear they are better now they have done away with the coating, but their customer support was a joke.

Autotech - Not had a problem with these apart from the way they can allow fuel to pass through the seal and mix with the oil.  Bad news for rings, bores and bearings.  Personally, I have only felt the horrible 5.5k flat spot with the autotech pumps.

APR - fully built, tested and ready to go, great customer support too.  Piston design wont put pressure on the seals and there is a larger surface area on the follow which seams to cause less wear on the followers.  I have APR's fitted to loads of cars inc X-bows which are abused for hours on track days and are still perfect.  Ive not had any pressure drops or flat spots on the cars ive fitted the pump to.

:drinking:

Yes for pump's for the Mk5 or anything TFSI based.

Interesting point about the 5.5k flat spot  :happy2:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »
I chose the APR as it was the only tried and tested design, my decision in going for the APR was made stronger as someone just had a failure on the forum at the time from one of the other manufacturers, at the end of the day there are not many failures on the autotechs probably mainly due to fitting technique, but i decided to pay double and not take the risk ! and id do the same again, as the resale value is very good :smiley:
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:46:55 pm »
APR clearly the way to go if yo can afford but i hear from well respected sources that the only time Autotech failed was when not fitted properly ie not sealed with some clean engine oil, if the person fitting it has the competence eg PDT then should be worry free as long as keep checking cam follower and smelling dipstick  :wink:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 10:54:38 pm »
APR for me.

Largely for the reasons above but also because I went to the US and bought one there.  :happy2:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:04:18 am »
APR for me.

Largely for the reasons above but also because I went to the US and bought one two there.  :happy2:

I fixed it for you.  :wink:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35:51 am »
APR all the way.

I had Autotech internals in mine. On Stage 2 I never got more than 256bhp with them. Swapped to an APR pump and the power went up to 270bhp. Nothing else changed on the car and logging wise the Autotech was apparently making the requested rail pressure. However as the autotechs started to fail I had the APR put on and wish I had done it in the first place.

Autotechs will fail over time. I installed mine myself and they lasted 50k miles ( so obviously no issues with the install ) the problem is the stepped piston and not the competence of the installer as long as they know what they are doing. Or have a hotline to a man that does  :grin:

As the saying goes. Buy cheap buy twice.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:37:48 am by vRS Carl »

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 12:38:52 am »
I've got an APR pump. I bought if for the reliability issues and and fact that I can sell on as a complete unit for decent money when I'm done.

HOWEVER I got the flat spot issue at 5500rpm, which appeared not long after the pump was fitted.  :surprised:
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)