Make a donation

Author Topic: Collecting ed30 tomorrow, HPI check says stolen recovered!, help, advice please  (Read 7270 times)

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
1 service in over 3 years and 55K miles? That alone would be enough to make me not even consider it. The seller sounds a right shyster!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
DO NOT BUY IT! Plenty more out there! Clean history and well serviced!
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Would not touch this with a barge pole, sounds like a right can of worms!!

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
Walk, for some reason i would never go look at a car that is CAT C/D or SR. Especially if its not been highlighted.

Would like to agree with the comments 'that there are plenty of examples about' but i cant find anything that im happy with. Finding the right spec, DSG, xenons, MFSW highline & armrest with good mileage is proving to be very hard.  :rolleye:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline kiddfrost

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
Ok, I'm gonna leave it unless it goes for a bargain price.

First of all, A BIG THANKYOU to all  :happy2: , I have greatly appreciated all your input and opinions with which without I may have made a costly mistake because of my impatience.

I have spoken to the seller, he seemed like a respectable and decent chap. I explained it is showing as stolen and recovered on the HPI check. He says he HPI checked it and it came up clean 2 years ago when he purchased it. He seemed quite supprised and said if he knew he would have declared it in the advert and probably would never had purchased it. He will look into it and get back to me out of courtesy.

So far its cost me £20 for the Bankers Draft, £10 for the HPI check and £27 to cancel the insurance, a lot less than it could have cost me.

Still on the lookout for an ed30 but unless I find one in the next month my ride is gonna be a 1996 1.4 Peugeot 106  :smiley:

Thanks again.  :happy2:

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
In the grand scheme of things losing £57 is nothing and you are right to walk away

Offline Truckie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Formula Hot Laps
I'm gobsmacked that Truckie's is still up for sale tbh  :surprised: Especially when this one is only 1k cheaper..  :confused:

Its because im in Scotland  :signLOL: I have said id deliver for free if i achieve the asking price!  :drinking:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Mine has 58k miles and lots of nice extras, if you want to discuss it
im on 079 17166 707.

Its being traded in on monday so will take what they are offering, which is cheap. Can also include lots of freebies if yoi want them, just give me a call to discuss.

Dave.

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
Out of interest dave what car will you be getting next?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Bmw 135i  :happy2:

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
im on 079 17166 707.

Its being traded in on monday so will take what they are offering, which is cheap. Can also include lots of freebies if yoi want them, just give me a call to discuss.

Dave.

Can't believe no one is snapping your hand off - a fully spec'd ed30, looked after and some freebies all for trade money. if I already didn't have one I'd be half way up the motorway right now  :smiley:
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Another factor with a car that is stolen recovered, is that in the event of a total loss claim during your ownership, I understand that an insurance company will pay out less than for a non SR otherwise equivalent example.

Offline kiddfrost

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
im on 079 17166 707.

Dave.

Unfortunately I can't consider a 3 door, its got to be a 5 door..

Another factor with a car that is stolen recovered, is that in the event of a total loss claim during your ownership, I understand that an insurance company will pay out less than for a non SR otherwise equivalent example.

It seems like a SR is just plain bad news all round, it needs to be going for an absolute bargain price to make it worthwhile.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
i think you did the right thing, walking away  :happy2:
What I would say is that not all HPI checks are equal , some show data, some dont!
The SR pool is also pretty varied, from minor cosmetic damage (if any) to near writeoffs.......
so dont rule it out of hand, if you have the receipts for the work that was done then it may be a chance for you to grab a bargain.
but as others have said, it immediately rules out almost all buyers when you come to sell.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD