Make a donation

Author Topic: Airbag not covered under warranty  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Airbag not covered under warranty
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:19:20 pm »
I recently went to the dealers as my airbag light has come on on again. They plugged it in and said they think the wires or connection is loose under the seat and have booked me in for the 7th may. Having 3 months left of the warranty I thought wonderful it's getting sorted out under warranty. Then he said that there will be a charge of £80 + vat! I was amazed to say the least as it's still under warranty and has a full vw service history. So I've sent an email to the dealers I bought it from to see if there is anything they can do (hopefully a good will gesture). I'm not holding my breath though, so has anyone got any advice for me? An email address for someone who I can show my displeasure to. Or am I overeacting? Thanks

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Airbag not covered under warranty
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »
Ring VW Customer Care.
I could understand their reluctance if it was 3 months the otherside of the warranty but not while there's some left.  :fighting: :fighting:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:27:43 pm »
Is this the original VW warranty or the VW Used approved warranty?

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:37:09 pm »
It's vw used approved. I'm just amazed that such a fundamental safety aspect of the car can not be covered. What's the point in having the warranty at all?

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »
It will get repaired under warranty but that charge will be for the diagnostic test. I don't know why you should have to pay that though! I did.
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 05:42:48 pm »
It will get repaired under warranty but that charge will be for the diagnostic test. I don't know why you should have to pay that though! I did.

It's an absolute joke. I could have told them what was wrong as Darren told me!

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 05:44:39 pm »
It's vw used approved. I'm just amazed that such a fundamental safety aspect of the car can not be covered. What's the point in having the warranty at all?

I found the VW approved used warranty on my Wife's polo pretty crap - did it cover the leaking drivers door?  No.  Did it cover the worn bushes that were an MOT fail? No (but the stealer kindly lied and said they werent' worn but had completely failed so did get that done in the end).  Its not really a VW warranty as such - I think its just a third party policy the stealers buy whenever they sell a car and given a VW badge.  It took ages to get approval from the warranty company too.  Once I started going through the fine print there are a lot of exclusions.  Good luck.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »
the trouble is they don't cover wiring.
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 05:48:26 pm »
Yep massive joke. Mine was for the ecu update when my epc light came on I found out why on here rung them up and and booked it in for update as I knew that was the problem and when I picked it up I had to pay the dio test fee as they said they needed to check first that was the problem.
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 05:49:40 pm »
The used car and extended warranties are administered by a company in Croydon called Mondial.

They also do Audi.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 05:52:39 pm »
Then you are out of luck im afraid  :sad1:

If you have a look in the used approved warranty it specifically states it does not cover Airbags. I bet you have not seen this book before but this is the used approved warranty book that you should have in the car which states airbags not covered.

I had the same problem when the seat airbag went in mine and i had a right battle trying to get it covered by warranty. In the end i had to pay £200 (the bill should have been over £600) which was done at cost to the dealer and no labour. The only reason that happened is because the dealer i bought it from failed to register the car under the used approved warranty and i had been driving it for 6 months unknowing. So my local dealer covered 2/3's and i paid the other.

Your best bet is a good will gesture from the supplying dealer but i wouldn't hold your breath. :sad1:

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 05:57:37 pm »
Yep I've never seen that brochure! Is there anything that actually is covered after looking at that list?!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »
It's a booklet that is supposed to be supplied when you buy the car. The salesman is also supposed to take you through the booklet so that you understand just what is and isn't covered.

Like you i had never seen it until i was facing a £600 bill :scared:. Fortunately my local dealer is not into ripping people off which is why he covered 2/3's of the work if i just paid for the cost of the parts at dealer price. He could have quite easily said sorry mate not my problem.

If i were you i would ask your local dealer for a copy of the booklet and see if they will speak to the supplying dealer as they will have a bit more clout than you ringing up and getting irate. However i fear 9 months down the line you might just get given two words. The first one will start with F & the second will end in F. :sad1:

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 06:11:55 pm »
Thanks  :happy2:

I've emailed the dealer I bought it from (harrogate) and I'll see what they say. Hopefully we can come to some sort of agreement. Well see, but like you've said I won't hold my breath!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 06:16:09 pm »
Hope you get it sorted. Let us know how you get on. :happy2: