Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf R or Audi S3 ??  (Read 27595 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Golf R or Audi S3 ??
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
who would pay over 35k for a S3 or Golf R when thats TTRS/RS3 money?

Saint Steve

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 09:38:51 pm »
I would for the R, but I would blow 30+k on a car unless I won the lottery .

if I could afford it, then an RS3, but never a TT regardless of it's engine.

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 10:08:13 pm »
I wouldnt go near a RS3 or S3 new for the pure reason its about to be replaced by a brand new platform and residual values will be very poor.
Im more inclined to see what the ED35 has to offer over the R or maybe consider another brand.  The Audi 3 Series is getting replaced by a brand new platform 3 series and I wouldnt put my money into an old model.

Just my 2pence worth!  :innocent:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2011, 07:09:13 am »
if I could afford it, then an RS3, but never a TT regardless of it's engine.

:smiley:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2011, 10:51:09 pm »
I was up at the retrimmers and they had a brand new R in United Grey or Gunmetal... whatever colour they are calling it this year in for a leather fit and it was lush :drool: really suits the colour.

Offline P10YRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 08:42:01 am »

You no that J but I can't insure the above until June!  :smiley:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2011, 11:11:20 am »

You no that J but I can't insure the above until June!  :smiley:

Are you saying you are gonna get a rs3/TTRS?

Bit different in your case as back when you got yours TTRS where still 45k!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 12:29:20 pm »
Im more inclined to see what the ED35 has to offer over the R

Err, it won't have anything to offer over the R, as it will be lower down the range!

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2011, 11:32:32 pm »
Damn you lot, following all this chat been pondering and doing sums on Golf R's that are about. Though not a huge choice about in the required "lazy left leg and rear doors" spec I really need nowadays.

May have to drive one although not fully convinced it's gonna be a massive leap forward from the Sg1 Ed30.
Accepting that's a modded car versus a standard one.

Over the S3, I personally quite like the look of the R, which is weird as I'm not generally too fussed on Mk6's over the Mk5.
That said it's not what you'd class as Value For Money, when compared to the Audi..Same engine and 4WD etc

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2011, 06:22:05 am »
Thankyou for all the input ,Having read all the above it seams the S3 is being replaced and the R is so much money for a VW Golf albeit a bloody nice one ,

The ED35 members mention is it going to happen, I would love a DSG , 3DR, Grey, Xenons, Nav. perfect spec for me .

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2011, 09:16:46 am »
The S3 being replaced - this really an issue, means there are deals to be had - if you want the latest thing then its never going to be cheap.  WHen they release a new S3 I expect it to be R money

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:26 pm »
Pick which you like best! Golf R was not an option for me as it was more expensive and had a lesser interior which seemed odd (my opinion, not said to annoy anyone  :wink: ). They are rarer but depends if that's your thing?

You cant go wrong with any of them really and on today's roads you will struggle to go faster than a standard mk5 GTI without losing your licence any way!

Test it
Buy it
Enjoy it

:happy2:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2011, 01:26:29 pm »
^^I think your wrong 250bhp is never enough, I don't know if you've drove one but they are not has fast has you'd think...Yes they are fast but when you think the old e36 M3 with the 3.2 is pushing 321 bhp and the e46 was 341bhp nearly 100bhp up on the R32??

I don't know many people who own an R32 but the ones I do, have them quite highly modified with blower or turbos pushing more than 400+bhp.

The same goes for the RS4, the 2 I have drove have been an absolute joy to drive but if your tootling along in say 4th and then plant your foot they just take an age to pick up...The R32 is not exploitable right through the rev range and is quite sluggish if caught off guard in the wrong gear.

I wait to be blown out of the water from the like of Hedge and Pomme but IMO the R and S3 will be more of a drivers car than the R32 and will also hold there money far better.

And as said the Pirelli is the car of the moment and will hold its value far better than any of the cars suggested so far.

Darren

One of my good friends had one, and I knew what people initially thought of R32s (bit sluggish etc). By no means did it make the world move but it was still very quick. It didn't feel sluggish at all but then again it was DSG so it was always shifting itself. Each to their own but I do think the R32 will reach a certain price and stay around that area. My mate has now gone onto a 335d and continues to miss the R32.

VW will never make a car like the R32 again. This is why I bought one, before they got too old.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is happy to with 'just' 250bhp. R32 is plenty quick enough for me and IMHO has far more sense of occasion that the S3 which is why I went for one over the Audi. I found the S3 dull in comparison.

I have absolutely no idea what I will replace it with. I enjoy the sure-footed-ness of the the Haldex and I love the 2.5 TFSI but I won't buy a TT and I loathe the Sportback A/S3...

For the sake of this discussion, I'd get an R in a heart-beat, but only if comparing it to a current S3. I eagerly await hot MKVIIs and MKIII S3s, but I think I might be disappointed.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2011, 01:45:25 pm »
Agree with all the above. The R32 does have a sense of occasion missing from all the other 4 pot cars. I know someone who has even had a 3.2 A3 and an R32 and he reckons the Golf is a much better car. I think the sportier Audis have too hard a ride and that the designers confuse stiffness with sportiness, much like they do at Seat .

The R32 is a big old bus that I don't think was designed to compete with the 4 cylinder models, but to be an alternative that appeals to a different type of buyer. That's the reason why these S3 vs GTI vs R32 debates will always exist! I can see the possibility of the 4 pot R being my next car, but it'll be a very sorry occasion.