Make a donation

Author Topic: Remap to increase mpg?  (Read 20561 times)

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
Remap to increase mpg?
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:55:16 pm »
Is it possible to get a remap done with the primary reason to improve fuel consumption? Not too fussed about extra bhp (heresy on here I know!!), as I'm happy with the 227 the ed30 produces as an everyday car.
Are there tuners in NW England that can do this?

TIA
Phil
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline parks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
  • Red ED30 No. 1778 Detailing World member
Re: Remap to increase mpg?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:11:27 pm »
would the milage you do mean you would see a return?

just thinking £300-400 for the remap vs maybe a 10% increase in mpg...

just thinking out load..
Standard: Rear parking sensors, Parrot Bluetooth
Retro fitted: MFSW buttons, RCD510, Boot pop, Black Monza II, Xenons, Audi jacking points, open fog light grills.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:12:02 pm »
With the extra torque of a remap you should be able to shift up sooner at low revs to minimise fuel consumption.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:34 pm »
Did you choose the V12 Vantage based on it's consumption? :signLOL:
GTI going...

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:16:19 pm »
I had mine done at PD tuning, I get 29-25mpg whilst nailing it  :happy2:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:24:05 pm »
There are companies out there that do specific economy maps however most maps increase your mpg because you have more torque.  :smiley:

Offline TimR

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:49:32 am »
With the GIAC flashloader you can choose from Stock,Race(100+octane),Pump(the actuall remap) and Valet mode which is a economical map made to just improve mpg.

Its super :)
Volkswagen Golf GTI mk5 2006. GIAC Stage 1.

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:26:56 am »
My stock Pirelli made 27.5 mpg average first map 26.9 mpg average (1,500 miles) now with Revo stage 2 I am seeing 28.4 mpg, I do a fair amount of motorway as well

My prior car an E92 M3 averaged 20.3 mpg over three years. Both cars measure accurately against the tank. Revo told me that mapping for economy is not particularly successful, the problem being the torque band and spooling is at motorway cruise speeds, so riding the boost means less mpg

I stay in double figures on the motorway, if I 'cruise' at 70 I can see 31-32mpg average. The REVO seems better round town too for mpg

For a 2.0L it's not great but, it'll do.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:28 am »
Did you choose the V12 Vantage based on it's consumption? :signLOL:

x2

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:08:23 am »
My stock Pirelli made 27.5 mpg average first map 26.9 mpg average (1,500 miles) now with Revo stage 2 I am seeing 28.4 mpg, I do a fair amount of motorway as well

My prior car an E92 M3 averaged 20.3 mpg over three years. Both cars measure accurately against the tank. Revo told me that mapping for economy is not particularly successful, the problem being the torque band and spooling is at motorway cruise speeds, so riding the boost means less mpg

I stay in double figures on the motorway, if I 'cruise' at 70 I can see 31-32mpg average. The REVO seems better round town too for mpg

Bit off topic but how does the power feel on stage 2+ compared to the M3? Much difference?

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:10:50 am »
My gti did 11,5 km/l in stock and went down to 10,5 km/l with APR K04 conversion map. Now that i have the corresponding map from REVO due to higher lambda values (leaner mix) i'm back at 11,5 km/l. not bad considering a 76% increase in poweroutput  :notworthy:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 12:53:18 pm »

Bit off topic but how does the power feel on stage 2+ compared to the M3? Much difference?

Off topic, the M3 was notably faster than the Stage 2 between 5,000 and 8,750 rpm. less than that, say 3-4k I am not sure which would be quicker in a straight line. Push on and the handling of the M3 was in a different league, the car had genuine balance, poise and with the M button on, get busy and you realise why the parts list for an M car is long compared to a stock 3 series.

And the noise with eisenmman back boxes at 8,500 spine tingling.......

Will my Pirelli ever compete ?  Sadly not unless, I replace the engine with a wonderful high revving V8, push it way back into the shell, replace the suspension with something fundamentally better, etc etc. The M3 is £55k and the GTi £25k enough said

BUT catch an M3 in the wrong gear and keep the pedal nailed at 50+ on a straightish A road and you wonder where the £30k went. As the road tightens and you ask more of the car, you know !

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:29 am »
If your doing motorway miles you would be better off spending your money on fitting the bluemotion golf under body aero trim to improve MPG rather than re-map, The bruce had a long thread on it but lower the car aero under body bits and pieces would help but only 10-15% but cheaper than a map.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=p39kh5c2js9dq3uo9lar3lukno&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:26 am »
If your doing motorway miles you would be better off spending your money on fitting the bluemotion golf under body aero trim to improve MPG rather than re-map, The bruce had a long thread on it but lower the car aero under body bits and pieces would help but only 10-15% but cheaper than a map.

Have they been proven to work? Im sceptical.