Make a donation

Author Topic: Confused!  (Read 2128 times)

Offline dindi_boy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Confused!
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:54:11 pm »
Some advice would be appreciated.

I purchased my lovely, used 07-plate GTI last October from a main dealer. It's due its four year service in May, although MOT is not due until August (I assume because the dealer that sold it wanted a full year's MOT as part of the deal). I also have a two-year servicing plan with the dealer as part of the sale of the car.

I went to the dealer this morning to arrange a 4-year service for next month (the car was manufactured in May 2007), but was told that it wasn't due until October. I was also quoted the price for a standard 40,000 mile service, to be covered by the two-year service deal, and the guy said a DSG service would cost £160.

Unless I'm missing something (and the guy was far from clear) I can't understand why a 4-year service is no longer due next month. He said that I could get it serviced next month, but that the 2-year service plan would not 'authorise' it. To be honest, I've no idea what that means and had lost the will to live by then, so left.

Does this sound right, or does the guy not have a clue? Is a DSG service really this cheap? Should I get the 4-year service next month, even though they say it's not due until October?

Thanks, everyone. 

Offline Weston

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
Re: Confused!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:04 pm »
The DSG service is just for the gearbox, price sounds about right for that. As for the car service if it's not due and will cost you to bring the date forward I'd wait. When has it been serviced so far? Maybe it didn't sell for months or was used as a demonstrator then serviced in October. I'm only guessing here. Hope that helps.
GTI going...

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:15:03 pm »
Yeah post mileage and dates of previous services and we'll try work it ooot!
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline dindi_boy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:24:35 pm »
Thanks for replying, guys.

Weston, you're right about the car not selling. It was at the dealers for a few months before I bought it due to the fact it was a low-milage, high-spec car that was relatively expensive. However, if they did service it in October the log book is not stamped.

Lowr32, the last service stamped in the log book was last May; the car had done 14000 miles at that stage. Previous to that, it was serviced in May 2009; the car had done 8500 miles at that stage. The current milage is 17600 - told you it was low milage!

Hope that helps and thanks again for your help. 

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:39:13 pm »
In the service book, was longlife oil used? Should say...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Weston

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:40:58 pm »
I can see why you're confused  :jumping:
GTI going...

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:47:57 pm »
Oddly i have a ED30 (2007) i bought in october last year...will be 4 years old in may and in for service next week.......i bough the 2 year service thing and my car has now done 17600 ! what colours yours?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 8
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:49:10 pm »
I though it was when the service indicator told you it was due!

Offline Weston

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 10:10:21 pm »
I though it was when the service indicator told you it was due!

If it's been reset correctly...
GTI going...

Offline dindi_boy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 10:31:34 pm »
Lowr32, according to the log book it was not LongLife oil that was used when it was serviced last May. It seems like it was just a standard service and oil change that was carried out at that stage.

Garrardrj, we seem to have very similar history to our cars - although mine is a standard GTI, not an ED30. It's a black three-door.

I'm thinking my best option now is to call the dealers I bought it from to ask it was serviced in October.

Confused? You will be!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 06:42:56 am »
Have they not written when next service should be!? Yeah possibly ring dealers, if not ring Vw UK. It might be a case that it "wasn't owned" for a period of time ie p/ex'd in, gone through bidding war with dealers, sat there for a while then only serviced when right time came... Bit 5 months does seem odd... Someone must know something to give a clue... Might have been someones second car and sat in a garage and they'd just forgot( could write to last owner listed on v5, see if they can shed light!) don't be afraid to do this, I've done it before to find out about a cars history...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline dindi_boy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:48:42 pm »
I'll make a few phone calls and let you know how I get on. I'm sure there's a reason behind it all somewhere!

Thanks again for the help.