Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying an imported car ? without being told its an import  (Read 9574 times)

WILCOMAN

Re: Buying an imported car ? without being told its an import
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 07:26:57 pm »
Hi All
Many thanbks to all of you for your comments here is a quick update a day after this has been brought to the attention of the dealer.
This car was purchased from a uk main VW dealer as an approved uk volkswagen.
The second page of the service book where it says vehicle delivery it is clearly stamped with alnabooda llc dated 16/12/06 <since looked that name up and its in united arab emirates>
The third page says barnstable VW Devon date of first registration 1/5/07 so whats going on here ?
The logbook states first registed 1/5/07 and no mention of being imported ?
I contacted the citezens consumer panel today and they told me the following... the dealer dose not have to tell me if its imported if I dont ask them.. But if I can prove the car is an 06 registred car instead of an 07 then the car has been sold not as described and I would have a case against them. the trading standards have been contacted and are looking into the matter. They also told me to send the dealer a letter telling them what they had done and what I expext from them in a certain time and a copy of this letter should be sent to the finance company as well.
I will keep you updated as to what happens next. and by the way I cant drive it as its noiw not legally covered by the insurance as its got no alarm and its an impoted car which they wont cover.  :confused:
Thanks all George.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 07:31:41 pm »
Weren't there motorpoint cars in from the UAE?

Seriously if this came from a main dealer I'd be onto VW. I brought a BMW in from Holland, saved a packet, actually got not too bad a trade in but the dealer said as it was an import they were not allowed to sell it from their uk network.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil etc.

I thought motorpoint did source from there and malta?

Yes Malta but wasn't there also a UAE thing mid 2008-9 where they were prematurely ageing through sand ingress?

My memory is pish through years of self abuse lol. OP I hope you get this sorted. Stick with it. Vw dealers do not sell imported cars. Afaik.
I think a lot of the cars they sold as new had been sitting about for a year or two

Offline swiftlupogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 07:55:03 pm »
Hi All
Many thanbks to all of you for your comments here is a quick update a day after this has been brought to the attention of the dealer.
This car was purchased from a uk main VW dealer as an approved uk volkswagen.
The second page of the service book where it says vehicle delivery it is clearly stamped with alnabooda llc dated 16/12/06 <since looked that name up and its in united arab emirates>
The third page says barnstable VW Devon date of first registration 1/5/07 so whats going on here ?
The logbook states first registed 1/5/07 and no mention of being imported ?
I contacted the citezens consumer panel today and they told me the following... the dealer dose not have to tell me if its imported if I dont ask them.. But if I can prove the car is an 06 registred car instead of an 07 then the car has been sold not as described and I would have a case against them. the trading standards have been contacted and are looking into the matter. They also told me to send the dealer a letter telling them what they had done and what I expext from them in a certain time and a copy of this letter should be sent to the finance company as well.
I will keep you updated as to what happens next. and by the way I cant drive it as its noiw not legally covered by the insurance as its got no alarm and its an impoted car which they wont cover.  :confused:
Thanks all George.

does the car have an immobiliser?who was your insurance with?

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »
Yes the car has an immobiliser
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

WILCOMAN

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:25:47 pm »
Yes Eddie is right it has an immobiliser but no alarm and it was insured through RIAS as a UK model golf with factory fitted alarm and immobiliser.
But as we now know its neither UK and it hasnt got an alarm. :mad:

WILCOMAN

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »
Hi All.
Just another quick update, The letters were all sent off today when out of the blue the main VW dealer gave me a call and asked if them fitting a thatcham cat 1 alarm system would be acceptable.
I said no im sorry I want the car replaced with another one of the same specifcation and not an import.
Without hesitation the dealer said they will do all they can to rectify the problem and pay any expenses incurred while they are in the process of doing it.
So we will have to wait and see what they do next tuesday when all the letters arrive.
Will keep you updated George.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »
asked if them fitting a thatcham cat 1 alarm system would be acceptable.
I'd also want to paid any premium increase in insurance due to it being an import, as well as any potential loss from when selling (though hard to quantify since it depends on when you sell it).

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

WILCOMAN

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 08:45:00 pm »
Hi no as I said I want the car replaced..
Im certainly not keeping it now.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »
Hi George
I have to agree with you

Ed
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides