Make a donation

Author Topic: Armrest rattle  (Read 1313 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Armrest rattle
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:08:28 pm »
For the fast few weeks, I've noticed a rattle in the interior. Always seemed to show itself when going over bumps in the road. I thought it was the passenger seatbelt at first but I've managed to narrow it down to the arm rest.

More specifically the bit where the arm rest base meets the centre console. There's a tiny gap. Not sure if it was there before but if I jam my finger in so a bit of the skin gets wedged it, it stops the rattle completely.

Does anyone else have a gap between the rest and the console?

Just trying to work out if something's broken off or if it's just come out of place.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Armrest rattle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:58:35 pm »
Stealth, I noticed my armrest lid had a slight amount of play in it, but only when the rest was slid in. At full extension, there's no noise. When it's pushed in, I get a knock & slight rocking when I rest my elbow.

So, I asked the stealer to look while it was serviced. Predictably they drew a blank. So while deep cleaning the interior last week I stripped off the armrest lid.

The lid slides back & forth on two metal tubes. There are two circular white plastic bushings that these tubes run through. This entire assembly is on the underside of the rest. First I wondered if the four lugs that mount the rest to the base of the armrest were developing any play. So a bit of fluffy self adhesive velcro to pack out the fitting was applied. No difference.

Looking at the metal tubes, I noticed that the right side white bushing had developed a small amount of play. It was this that causes the lid to knock when leant on. After a year, my armrest lid is essentially rattly, and unfixable. New lid required.

So the point of this long rambling tale is to ask you whether the gap may be due to the same?
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Armrest rattle
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:32 pm »
I fitted mine last week and found that there was a gap of a couple of mm between the armrest and the original remaining part of the centre console, I thought it was my bad handywork!! I was gonna have a go at refitting when I have some time (although you'd have to be at the same height as the join to see the gap but I'm just fussy like that!)

I've not had a look at a factory fitted armrest, do they all have this gap?

Cheers

Black GTI, DSG, Cruise control, MFD2,  Leather, MFSW with paddles, Parrot kit, Xenons, CD Changer, Armrest, Come home lighting/puddle lights, mod list in glovebox waiting for some cash and sunny weather....