Make a donation

Author Topic: rear wiper trouble  (Read 1675 times)

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
rear wiper trouble
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:34:19 am »
i am having trouble with my rear wipers on my mk5 golf. It just is not turning off. I've turned it off exactly the same way I usually do and now as soon as I turn the ignition the back wiper just goes wild. Can anyone think of why this may be?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: rear wiper trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:28:47 am »
This was a known problem with some early models and the cure was a new wiper motor...

Hope that this doesn't apply to you.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:46:25 am »
thanks for your reply. thats a really strange one because usually if something is faulty then you would expect it not to work and plus how does the motor function even after power to it is cut-out by turning it off. Or is the power to the motor never cut-out?

Nasir

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:50:30 am »
thanks for your reply. thats a really strange one because usually if something is faulty then you would expect it not to work and plus how does the motor function even after power to it is cut-out by turning it off. Or is the power to the motor never cut-out?

I don't think the movement of the stalk would turn the power off, it probably sends a signal to the ECU which then makes it operate/not operate.

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:15:40 pm »
My rear wiper had a mind of it's own. Only way I could get it to stop was to switch the ignition off. I had a new wiper motor fitted which cured the problem.

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 01:14:36 am »
I have the same problem so I took the fuse out till I sort a replacement, I got a replacement from a breakers but not all motors are the same, the one I got was slightly differen, same shape and size thou big it didn't work.. You'll have to get one from a Gti I think..

I still haven't sourced one yet but will make sure it's a Gti one.

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:17:42 am »
I have the same problem so I took the fuse out till I sort a replacement, I got a replacement from a breakers but not all motors are the same, the one I got was slightly differen, same shape and size thou big it didn't work.. You'll have to get one from a Gti I think..

I still haven't sourced one yet but will make sure it's a Gti one.

It definitely won't have to be a GTI one, it probably didn't work because it's from a newer or older car. The motor changed at some point through the life cycle of the MK5.

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:36:33 pm »
Nasir, is that what it is.. So I should be looking for a motor from a 2005 your sayin?

I'm nearly sure the bloke told me it was from an early golf.. But were definitely different motors when side by side.

It was out of a standard golf I was told.

Better just go by part number..

Offline Snooze

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 01:46:32 pm »
Common fault, mine did the same.  Requires a new rear wiper motor
2006 Mk5 Gti, Silver, 3 door, 17" Monza's

Nasir

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:09:22 pm »
Nasir, is that what it is.. So I should be looking for a motor from a 2005 your sayin?

I'm nearly sure the bloke told me it was from an early golf.. But were definitely different motors when side by side.

It was out of a standard golf I was told.

Better just go by part number..

There is no reason for a GTI to have a different wiper motor as far as I can see, yes I would look at the same year car. Best thing to do though is read the part number off yours and request it at a VW dealer, they will tell you if it was superseded and what the differences are etc.