Make a donation

Author Topic: TT lower arms and geometry changes  (Read 20402 times)

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: TT lower arms and geometry changes
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:52 pm »
That weighs more than my vRS estate with my weight in it!  Are you sure that's right?
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:05 pm »
Wow your car is heavy !

my car on the scales with a 3/4 full tank weighed in at 1444kg without me in (But my gym kit in the boot). The shocking thing was the difference between rears and fronts. The GTI is one nose heavy baby, no wonder dialling out understeer is hard work. I weigh 80kg so with me in clothed it is circa 1535 kg

My car is manual, is yours DSG ?

I will experiment with tyre pressures, the car seems pretty sensitive to a 1lb adjustment, I dropped 0.5psi more off the back and I didnt like it. I have bought an accurate guage (1%) so will measure and let you know what I settle on. I have tried 6,7 7,8 and 8,9 F,R on the road and it was very fidgety and crashy, plus I notice the back at over 4 dropping as you go over a bump, you aware the back is still coming back from bump when the car lands. Im sure no problem on a smooth track but not great on the road.

Try 3F, 4R for the road, I don't think you'll lose much comfort but it will tighten things up a bit.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »

the clearance is there, the trouble is the stock inner fenders doesn'r "rest" in the wider fenders and as such are getting "adjusted" by the tyres  :wink:

....When you say "stock inner fenders" don't you mean the stock wheel arch linings?

I know this is something I have asked you about and you haven't done anything yet to mod them to fit/join the carbon fenders. Surely not a difficult mod?

You're right RR, it's the stock wheel arch linings, actually i have a plan  :party:
I'll buy 2 new wheel arch linings, split them longitudinal, use the outer parts, the old ones will get the outer 10-15% removed and then cut across to app. the middle, then the new ones will be put in and marked against the old and then both parts will be put together.  :pomppomp:

....I've sourced some Seibon carbon wings in the UK and so plan this to be my next mod. Splitting the arch liners is exactly what I had thought as a good way of sorting it.  :happy2:

Sorry for short off-topic  :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2011, 09:33:32 pm »
Nice, looking forward to seeing them, will you spray red ?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2011, 10:03:37 pm »

Nice, looking forward to seeing them, will you spray red ?

....Definitely. Otherwise it'll look like one of those awful Smart cars  :sick:. I'll be stealing Danish Jake's idea though and exposing GTI lettering in the carbon by masking during painting - His displays the .:R logo on each carbon wing.  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2011, 10:06:56 pm »
Red, please try and weigh both OEm and Seibon if you can ! Carrera, my weight is so big because of my audio system wich has about 150Kg !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2011, 11:25:40 pm »
Hmmh, are RHD Golfs heavier than LHDs?  :ashamed:

Without me inside and with empty fuel tank my GTI is about 1280 kg.

Equipped as below.  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:34:54 pm by the bruce »
"You get what you pay for."

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 04:44:28 am »
Hmmh, are RHD Golfs heavier than LHDs?  :ashamed:

Without me inside and with empty fuel tank my GTI is about 1280 kg.

Equipted as below.  :wink:

maybe the difference is between 3 and 5 doors??

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:19 am »

Red, please try and weigh both OEm and Seibon if you can ! Carrera, my weight is so big because of my audio system wich has about 150Kg !

....Good idea. I have access to some DEFRA-approved digital scales which are regularly recalibrated, so that should be accurate enough!

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2011, 03:27:46 pm »
I am back to wheels in motion this week. I will be trying the front roll bar on full hard, then deciding if I work to other settings with this on hard or soft.

Tony will then advise which tweaks to apply. At the moment my wish list is a little more consistent feel and weight as I turn in and the tyres build up slip angle and any more I can reduce the feeling that the front is working harder than the rear (albeit the balance is very neutral and tracktion very good indeed)

The options would seem to be add a little more front camber, reduce the rear toe

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:00 pm »
Interesting I have just looked at the figures for the front and rear track, I can't work out with offset how they match up to stock figures (I suspect they have assumed I am running 7.5 width rims) BUT I can see that with the same wheels my front track is 45mm wider at the front and the stock is 18mm, This suggests that at  2 degrees of negative via TT arms widens the track by 13mm per side. This ties in to my earlier fag packet calculations  :happy2:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 05:15:16 pm »
Just playes a little with the car yesterday with ESP off and with the suspension on 2/F and 2/R + both sways on hard, the rear goes around like crazy. While this might be good for tight courses, I think it is quite dangerous on high speed tracks. I should try to either put the BSH 27mm RSB on soft, either increase front suspension stiffness. What do you guys say ?
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:58 pm »
Interesting, I would try softening the rear ARB, surprised yours is so lively at the rear and my car just sticks at back, feeling like most of the work is being dne at the front.

You could try upping the dampers on the front by a click or two as this would be quick to try

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2011, 06:16:44 pm »
I would put the back ARB on soft.
27 on soft is harder than 24 on hard (as I have) so you should be fine. If this is not having the results you expected then start adjusting the suspension stiffness.
Cheers  :happy2:.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 07:20:40 pm »
What exactly does the car do? When does it this? And what do you do when it does that?

I tend to agree with Carrera and Rex, but at first tell us more.
"You get what you pay for."