Make a donation

Author Topic: The New Ride... (Update)  (Read 21701 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: The New Ride...
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 11:28:54 am »
Yak yak!

I was lapping a DCT M3 yesterday, I actually think it works really well and has some advantages over DSG. No auto upchange and the throttle blip coming down is wood inducing. Very impressed with it.

Ditto on that one Mike.. Although mine hasn't got 'as' nice a rumble as the V8, but still nice all the same.. My old man's M5 used to do it and that barked at you..  :drool:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 11:36:00 am »
Love the car. As greeners has said, the change to black rims is a massive improvement.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 11:37:28 am »
Very nice car !!  :happy2:

I know the BMW 1 series driving different to the FWD Golf.
The 6 pot Turbo sounds great.
Add a LSD because it will be as helpful as it is on a Golf.

:drinking:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:48 am »
Mine is having its ECU fettled today  :driver:

Brief report of results and dyno chart then please Dave?  :wink:

Love mine as well, dont forget to add a quaife diff to the shopping list!

Any pics of yours mate?

will make a post later. Im Balls deep in binary coding at the moment :evilgrin:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 11:54:57 am »

Brief report of results and dyno chart then please Dave?  :wink:

Love mine as well, dont forget to add a quaife diff to the shopping list!

Any pics of yours mate?

will make a post later. Im Balls deep in binary coding at the moment :evilgrin:

:signLOL:

Look forward to seeing the results mate..

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 11:56:53 am »
Looks good mate, I am more looking forward to what times you are able to achieve with this one though.

IF (read WHEN) you map it, who'll be doing it?  I have seen adverts from DMS with healthy gains.

Be interesting matey  :wink: The Yanks are running low 12's with just map and DP..  :surprised:

Regarding my route of tuning, all will be revealed soon..  :wink:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:58 pm »
Superb Ben. Should be easier to get off the line at the pod as well.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 08:34:06 pm »

Brief report of results and dyno chart then please Dave?  

Stock: 298bhp and 304 ft/lb
Tuned: 368bhp and 390 ft/lb

Will be back on the dyno in the morning, had to get a few road miles on it to see what the drivability is like (which is like stock but just a lot more power, especially from 3500rpm onwards) and will get a final power graph tomorrow.

Havent played with the throttle map yet so throttle response is pretty much unchanged as I have found with these that they become a bit 'surgey' if you try and alter the throttle map by more than a few percent. But they dont have a dull throttle anyway so may leave it as it is.

Over the last few days I have been testing mpg figures on the way home from work, usually see 26mpg consistently but today got 29mpg with the map installed, that soon changed though after going through a few dual carriageways and roundabouts. The quaife diff makes a big difference to the way you drive out of bends!

Got to thank Jason for all of the help with the map, this guy is a god when it comes to mapping BMW's hence the reason that many of the big brands in the BMW tuning world use him to develop their software.   

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 09:26:43 pm »
Nice results there Dave..  :happy2:

Stock seems a bit on the low side (albeit near stock figures) from others that I have seen, but with it being 2nd hand, who knows what the previous owner was like and how it was driven/fuel was used etc..

The impressive thing is the gains that you've made..  :surprised: Shame the N55 isn't so easy to tune (OBD)  :sad1: Does give similar gains though..  :jumpmove:
Be interesting to see if those figures go up once the map has settled and fine tuned and more importantly some miles put on her..  :wink:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:02 pm »
I was just thinking it seemed a bit low stock - is it because it's an auto?
Sideways yo!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 09:57:40 pm »
Ive had stock (manuals and autos) make from 292- 320hp so I wasnt suprised by the figures. All end up making similar figures when tuned. The dyno is great for creating safe, reliable, powerfull maps but on road testing is a must if you want perfection. We have tuned 100+ n54 based cars over the years but having your own allows you to try different things. 

N55 is a lot easier to tune, much less work involved in the actual mapping, just need the right tools as most require bootmode (benchflash) but similar figures are achieved. Im down with a few well know BMW tuners this weekend mapping cars at a BMW show so will hopefully steal learn some new techniques  :signLOL:

Tbh theres nothing paticularly special or different about tuning these engines, but its good to work with the people that have been tuning them since day 1 rather than trying to work everything out yourself from scratch.   

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2011, 12:44:26 am »
Nice car Ben :happy2:
Like the black wheels, much better than the silver.
Are you getting it mapped before the Rs Tuning RR day?

Ive had stock (manuals and autos) make from 292- 320hp so I wasnt suprised by the figures. All end up making similar figures when tuned. The dyno is great for creating safe, reliable, powerfull maps but on road testing is a must if you want perfection. We have tuned 100+ n54 based cars over the years but having your own allows you to try different things.  

N55 is a lot easier to tune, much less work involved in the actual mapping, just need the right tools as most require bootmode (benchflash) but similar figures are achieved. Im down with a few well know BMW tuners this weekend mapping cars at a BMW show so will hopefully steal learn some new techniques  :signLOL:

Its not like you Dave trying to steal maps :rolleye:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:00:52 pm by heavyd »

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2011, 11:32:51 am »
Nice car Ben :happy2:
Like the black wheels, much better than the white.
Are you getting it mapped before the Rs Tuning RR day?

N55 is a lot easier to tune, much less work involved in the actual mapping, just need the right tools as most require bootmode (benchflash) but similar figures are achieved. Im down with a few well know BMW tuners this weekend mapping cars at a BMW show so will hopefully steal learn some new techniques  :signLOL:

Its not like you Dave trying to steal maps :rolleye:

No mate, want to get a stock run under it's belt before mapping to see what the starting point is going to be..  :smiley: I will then use Paul at RS Tuning to RR after to see the gains. Plus it's quite a tight dyno, so it certainly won't be over inflated figures..

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2011, 06:57:46 pm »
Went back to the stock map today, made 304bhp and 314 ft/lb, found a few error codes stored related to AFM so cleared them and stock power was restored!

Will be starting the mapping again tomorrow night :smiley: will be interesting to see what you can get from a tight n55 engine :happy2:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:50 pm »
* Little Update *

Was working up North today and thought it would be rude not to pop in and see Dave @ PDT seeing as I was passing. A) To pick his brains on software routes for the new motor and B) To claim my free RR run that he promised me for guessing the identity of his new motor  :jumpmove:
Well seeing as he has his place all kitted out with a nice new extension to his DD rollers, it seemed an ideal time to find out what the new girl was kicking out fresh from the factory. Plus I also had a benchmark to work with..
So Dave sat it's fat arse on the rollers and off she went...

Results were decent considering it's got 1100 miles on the clock and still reasonably tight I would assume..

So a decent platform to work on and more importantly see what gains I will get once she gets here ECU tickled..  :wink: She is by no means slow at the minute though, as my mate found out when following me home in his Stage 2+ S3 the other night (not a flee's bo**ock between us). Not sure who was more shocked tbh, me or him..  :surprised:

Just like to say a big thanks to Dave for today. Not just for the free power run, but for the sharing his thoughts and expertise. The guy is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to tuning, i'll give him that..  :surprised:  :happy2:

So all in all, so far so good...  :happy2:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:19:24 pm by Sunglasses Ron »