Make a donation

Author Topic: Next car (yet another thread!)  (Read 7452 times)

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Next car (yet another thread!)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 05:14:53 pm »
Stats wise I think the 330d walks it as said. Even the coupes look too big though in the e92s.

I have an e92 330d .... it is not big at all .... but is long !  Inside it feels hardly any different to the size of my Edition 30 - but less hatchback 'upright' when driving ... if that makes sense ! 

6 secs to 60, 15 secs to 100 as standard and 50mpg on a run from an auto isn't bad ! 

They are expensive though - but very well made .... and apparently noticeably better than the 1 series.

FWIW don't forget a 320d - 7.5 to 60 now (OK, thats the 184bhp version ... but the 177bhp version I had was still under 8 secs)  and very quick after a remap .... though from my own experience I wouldn't recommend it on an auto.

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 10:08:08 pm »
I think I have my heart set on the A3 2 TFSI S-tronic s-line!  :party: I went to my local Audi dealer but they couldn't find me anything that suited my needs, and didnt have one in to test drive.   :sad1: I like the looks and build (from a diesel model at the dealer).  I am going to have to wait patiently until one comes in with the right spec.  :popcornsoda:

They are around the £11-12K mark. Any ideas what I would get for a p/x on mk5 golf 1.6 fsi se 5 door with 50k on the clock. Good condition? (if anyone has one of those car guide book things)

And the final and most important question is performance, any technical person on here want to have an educated guess as to the performance of the 2 litre T FSI engine with a stage 2 remap and bolt ons?  :happy2:

Offline wigit

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 10:34:51 pm »
I think I have my heart set on the A3 2 TFSI S-tronic s-line!  :party: I went to my local Audi dealer but they couldn't find me anything that suited my needs, and didnt have one in to test drive.   :sad1: I like the looks and build (from a diesel model at the dealer).  I am going to have to wait patiently until one comes in with the right spec.  :popcornsoda:

They are around the £11-12K mark. Any ideas what I would get for a p/x on mk5 golf 1.6 fsi se 5 door with 50k on the clock. Good condition? (if anyone has one of those car guide book things)

And the final and most important question is performance, any technical person on here want to have an educated guess as to the performance of the 2 litre T FSI engine with a stage 2 remap and bolt ons?  :happy2:

as i said earlier they look great but was a massive let down of a car, poor ride and steering feel, i should know i did 55,000 miles in one, you really need to drive one, most reliable car i've owned but the one i've been most glad to see go

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 10:42:17 pm »
You'll get a great GTI for £11k - £12k, maybe even an Edition 30 with high(ish) miles.

S-Line on the A3 just stands for a hard ride, not a sporty ride.

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 12:37:14 am »
What car did you go from Widget? I am coming from a 1.6 golf which isn't exactly a race car haha. Im surprised by your comment though, I have read loads of reviews online and they say it is a solid car. The only downside is the price.

I will defo test drive one thought.

I plan on coilovers anyway which may change the sloppy feel?

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 12:39:12 am »
You'll get a great GTI for £11k - £12k, maybe even an Edition 30 with high(ish) miles.

S-Line on the A3 just stands for a hard ride, not a sporty ride.

Yeah I know I could but the insurance is too much!  :fighting: I would probably get the GTI if they where the same for insurance.

I really like the interior of the Audi. (As you can tell from my last car I like a nicely finished interior, thats where the majority of mods happened!)

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 07:48:26 am »
Went looking at S3,s yesterday at Doncaster Audi...Mrs was very impressed which is always a good start.. :driver:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 04:02:12 pm »
^^ I've two reliable sources that have had 8P S-Lines on AP and H&R coilovers respectively and both said they rode comfortably enough with tidy handling.

Like Andrew says the Sport is distinctively smoother than the S-Line in ride. I drove a 55' plate 140 tdi sport 3dr and it was silky smooth, enjoyably so.

Re. tuning for the 2.0T A3, same block as the k03 GTI I Though so same tuning results can be expected to my knowledge  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:01 pm »
What car did you go from Widget? I am coming from a 1.6 golf which isn't exactly a race car haha. Im surprised by your comment though, I have read loads of reviews online and they say it is a solid car. The only downside is the price.

I will defo test drive one thought.

I plan on coilovers anyway which may change the sloppy feel?

i had a A3 2.0TDI Sport for a couple of years which I swapped for a A3 2.0TFSI S-line Sportback, the TDI was a better more honest car, stock suspension was shocking on s-line never felt all 4 wheels were on tarmac, looked superb but no drivers car, decent suspension set up will help but for me steering wheel was a bit to big and no steering feel, i never bothered mapping it for that reason

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:16 pm »
I'm clearly missing something here.

Surely an A3 TFSi with the level of fettling you mention is going to be much more difficult (read expensive) to insure than a GTi in standard form which you say you can't afford.

Avoid the 170TDi unless it's a CR.  The PD's are bad news.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 10:54:30 pm »
The only advantage I can see for the A3 over the Golf (apart from the cheap insurance) is that it is readily available with 2+2WD. They're pretty well built, but have a poorer chassis set-up, flatter seats and usually less kit, due to Audi options being ridiculously overpriced. That's why xenons on an A3 are like gold plated unicorn crap, the option is/was 4 figures and hardly anyone coughed up. They're actually a badly needed add-on, as the A3 halogens are like bloody candles!

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »
Ok I really do not understand how insurance companies generate prices! I had a look at how much this would cost to insure:

A 2009 BMW 3 Series 2000 cc 320i M Sport Coupe. I thought no way in hell would they insure me on this if a GTI is 2.6k. £1789 Fully comp with legal cover, hire car and windscreen cover! Its a shame the car is £19k!  :signLOL:

Where do they get there prices from? Is the letters GTI the thing that is causing me the problem?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:09:33 pm by ollie288 »

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 03:11:39 pm »
^ I'm not sure about the engine in that Ollie?

Isn't the 320d M Sport faster/more economical/a better drive/more tunable?
Do a comparison if you haven't already. I can't imagine the insurance being much more on a derv coupe, although you may have to fork out a little more for the cost of the car.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:13:24 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 03:15:13 pm »
I'm not sure about the engine in that Ollie?

Isn't the 320d M Sport faster/more economical/a better drive/more tunable?
Do a comparison if you haven't already. I can't imagine the insurance being much more on a derv coupe, although you may have to fork out a little more for the cost of the car.

I havent looked into the engines pete. I just came across this one on autotrader and decided to do a quote. Hadn't even thought about a BMW as i thought the insurance would be stupid. That car is £19k which is to much for me atm. I may have a look to see if there are any older/cheaper ones available though!  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 05:21:26 pm »
^ Sure fella. I realised after it may just have been for quote purposes but wanted to highlight the 320D>320i comparison  :happy2:

TBH you can get 330D's on a 55-07 plate for between £11k-£14k. I've been looking myself at these. Aside these, perhaps like me, the BMW scene isn't for you judging by your other choices? If you could manage the insurance, then I'd say worth a test drive.
Pete