Make a donation

Author Topic: Power of the Internet?  (Read 3611 times)

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Power of the Internet?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 05:42:02 am »
Another thing with the explosion of the internet is the speed things happen. From a business point of view there are new players coming on the market all the time and intense competition on prices. Advertising and websites have to be bang up to date all the time and many small companies must feel like they have to run to stand still.
Likewise with forums and feedback panels reputations can be very quickly tarnished and it would be very hard to regain a reputation that has faltered in this fast moving envoironment.
On the flip side, from a business point of view the amount of potential customers who can easily access you is astonishing, but there are a lot of other companies chasing the same money.
So on balance, if I were a company with a big reputation I'd think twice about arguing on a public forum!  :grin:
Andy
7R

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 07:21:59 am »

The internet is probably THE most powerful influence on any business that trades through it. Businesses can be made or broken online simply by their acts or omissions. I can see why companies pay people to simply browse the internet for any content that even mentions their names. the company I work for is a massive multi-national corporation and spends a large amount of money simply protecting their online interests.

....Sure. But aren't we also talking about how businesses do or don't join in on forum discussions?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:26:03 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 07:40:56 am »
The Internet is great. We wouldn't be having this convo if the Internet wasn't available for a start!

As a medium for marketing and mass selling - invaluable.

but this also exposes businesses to potential negative publicity on a big scale too if they get it wrong. Nowadays...it's unbelievable how some rumours can lead to actions of a few to actions of sooo many! Chinese whisper so to speak at its most extreme form!

....It's not always a business that gets it wrong. I sit in on and see the points of view of a few businesses regarding forum discussions. Customer service is extremely important and businesses try their very best to follow the principle that the customer is always right, but that is far from the truth - There are many customers out there who are just selfish arseholes  :grin:. Don't think that I'm blindly championing businesses though - There are some out there who don't deserve to stay in business.

What is a business? - It's a group of individual people and what goes around comes around in the way that you treat other people regardless of whether they have "business" or "customer" written on their forehead.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 09:19:36 pm »

The internet is probably THE most powerful influence on any business that trades through it. Businesses can be made or broken online simply by their acts or omissions. I can see why companies pay people to simply browse the internet for any content that even mentions their names. the company I work for is a massive multi-national corporation and spends a large amount of money simply protecting their online interests.

....Sure. But aren't we also talking about how businesses do or don't join in on forum discussions?

Of course we are Robin, the first section which you quoted was a tie in to the second part which you omitted and was referring to one of the possible reasons forum sites lock threads where a company is talked about. I guess I should have been a bit clearer as I tend to waffle ......a bit! :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 10:47:01 am »
Forums in many ways are an absolute nightmare, I've seen many a shocking thread where people's grudges and lies have done massive damage to a business before they've even got wind of it and had chance to do anything about it.

As an example, a girl got thrown off a forum for very cleverly manipulating people into witch hunts. She'd get all doey eyed, hint at being hard done by and get an idiotic group of fanboys to cause grief on her behalf. She'd act all innocent and suggest being given things for free and posting threads about how great this business now was would help shut things up. When it all came out in the wash, there were blatant blackmail threats from her to a few companies, countless thefts of stuff supposedly never arrived, credit card fraud - a real mess.

Thing is, if she'd come up to you at a meet and slagged a company off you knew were decent, you'd have thought her an idiot and ignored her. Yet somehow the internet gives people a powerful voice and others want to believe it.

In other ways though, people are their own worst enemy. I've seen someone bitching about an insurance company, for them to then go and cancel their policy and refuse to cover them ever again. Ha! The doink who crashed that VXR at Brunchen II who was covered on his German policy (Army serving out in Germany) and then went boasting on the 'net he was timing, they then refused to pay out...

The internet. As dangerous as it is useful.
Sideways yo!