Make a donation

Author Topic: EVO 6 -- Rally Time --  (Read 1691 times)

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
EVO 6 -- Rally Time --
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:18:29 pm »
Im going up to Liverpool at the weekend to pick up one of these EVO VI's with my old man. I have no about these these cars only that I have admired there chunky body work with cool stickers, since the second my teenage peepers clocked them.

Does anyone have any advice or things to look out for? We have put down the deposit already and are looking forward to a good drive back down south with it. Hopefully it doesn't rain as it needs wax treatment.

0-60 in 4.2 secs apparently and its stock!! 52K with all stamps etc. 2000 I think.

Offline johnboy07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: EVO 6 -- Rally Time --
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 03:07:53 pm »
urm cant give any great advice on them but i will say my friend is selling a tommi m edition evo 6 with 365bhp 60k miles and fsh. and im in bournemouth so dont know if that is closer. let me know if your interested and will find out more info
Stage 2+ 280.4 bhp ITG, Revo Stage 2+, decat, hpfp, THS intercooler, THS engine mounts, Pcv revamp, sportline springs, rs4 fuel valve, DS2500 pads and brembo discs, braided lines, ATE super blue brake fluid and more to come

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »
I had a big turbo one of those for 2 weeks HKS throughout and it was frickin awesome 480BHP and very driveable. We had it for four months whilst we all had a bit of fun with it, it did two windscreens in because of the torque whilst we had it. Not the stiffest of chassis's unless properly prepared.

Also had a TM from memory they were 265BHP stock felt like a robin reliant after the blue one

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:28:51 pm »
one of my mates has a silver tommi makinen edition. its been fully forged and uprated to a 2.3 stroker. runs 440bhp and go round corners like nothing i have ever experienced. fantastic car.
a couple of issues im aware of is he has had allot of issues wth the AC but is probably going to take it out to save weight.

Also if it has not been waxed after all these years have a good look underneath to check there is no rust as it will be difficult to get rid of the rust once its started.

the Anti Yaw Contol on these can also play up, so make sure the AYC light turns off once you are driving it as it can be a pain to get this fixed and when the AYC is not working the car will understeer, but when it does work the handling is spot in  :happy2:

Finally the rear diff can be a wealk spot, check that there is no oil lieaking from the rear diff and make sure it has been serviced at the correct intervals.

Hope this helps. and hope you have some megga fun with it :driver:

h4rdy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:45:33 am »
I love these.

My mate has just written his off, BMW X5 pulled out on him, not his fault.

A standard one makes my ED30 look silly then he got it remapped and I wouldn't have even tried.

Completely capable EVERYWHERE!

Ultimate B Road car.

Awesome just awesome.

BUT...................difficult to live with on a daily basis.

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:47:17 am »
Thanks for the pointers guys my Dad picked it up yesterday and it is all good! I didn't go in the end thanks to a new cold but will be popping up soon to see if I can keep up with him in the twistys! Interesting points about the chassis being weak and having the windscreen replaced several times! He wants to get it mapped so I will update you when something Interseting happens!

I have the the fun job of stripping the original stickers and replacing with a whole new set. Should keep me busy for a day or so  :happy2:

Pictures to come soon!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:26:18 pm »
Another interesting point:

A friend of mine had an Evo VI (from new) & had a blow out on the M-way. He recovered to the hard shoulder & tried to put the spare on the blown front. It wouldn't fit. After several attempts he rang the RAC who came out. They couldn't get the spare on the front axle either. So the RAC guy rang a dealer. He was told that the spare only fits the rear, so if it's a front blow out, the rear wheel has to go on the front, & the spare then onto the rear. Plus if the remaining 3 tyres were more than half worn, the anti yaw can't cope with one new & three worn, so the dealer suggested he get 4 new tyres.

2 weeks later he chopped it in for a BMW  :signLOL:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

h4rdy

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:29:04 pm »
Thanks for the pointers guys my Dad picked it up yesterday and it is all good! I didn't go in the end thanks to a new cold but will be popping up soon to see if I can keep up with him in the twistys! Interesting points about the chassis being weak and having the windscreen replaced several times! He wants to get it mapped so I will update you when something Interseting happens!

I have the the fun job of stripping the original stickers and replacing with a whole new set. Should keep me busy for a day or so  :happy2:

Pictures to come soon!

If they are the originals are they not more sort after?

For mapping try 'Geek Mappers' on the MLR Forum.

My mates had a tweaked RalliArt map which just didn't feel right but Geek Mappers really sorted it out.

When he crashed the windscreen cracked but nothing hit it.

Just the force through the body to the windscreen.

h4rdy

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 12:31:34 pm »
Another interesting point:

A friend of mine had an Evo VI (from new) & had a blow out on the M-way. He recovered to the hard shoulder & tried to put the spare on the blown front. It wouldn't fit. After several attempts he rang the RAC who came out. They couldn't get the spare on the front axle either. So the RAC guy rang a dealer. He was told that the spare only fits the rear, so if it's a front blow out, the rear wheel has to go on the front, & the spare then onto the rear. Plus if the remaining 3 tyres were more than half worn, the anti yaw can't cope with one new & three worn, so the dealer suggested he get 4 new tyres.

2 weeks later he chopped it in for a BMW  :signLOL:

Its funny you should say that, when I went with my friend to get all his bits out of it post crash I noticed a big sticker next to the space saver. Basically saying if you have 17" wheels this won't fit on the front.

The brakes are quite big as standard.