Make a donation

Author Topic: What would you buy for £40k ?  (Read 16571 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
Re: What would you buy for £40k ?
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:21 pm »
That's what I'd really do with £40K, pay off my mortgage!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=me894m6pm7e1asrt2a7kc4m816&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2011, 10:01:43 pm »
They are nice... but they dont feel quick at all!

Look at the 0-60's here -

http://www.oettinger.de/en/product-88/volkswagen-1/golf_5-23/engine_tuning-1/2_0_tfsi_169_kw_230_ps_243_kw_330_ps_gti_edition_30-212.html

http://www.oettinger.de/en/product-88/audi-2/a5_s5-51/engine_tuning-1/3_0_tdi_176_kw_240_ps_210_kw_285_ps-463.html

Standard 3.0 TDi A5 is the same as a 330PS Ed30

You might need to get your Butt Dyno calibrated  :evilgrin: :signLOL:

I know the figures... i'm just going on having driven my dads a fair bit.  They just don't seems quick, i think its because they are so effortless due to the 4million nm of torque. My ed30 feels quicker than his 3.0TDI a5.

Ive yet to have a race with him  :innocent:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »
For 40k I would do 20k on my mortgage and buy my Octavia again.  :wink:

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »

That's a small mortgage to pay off !!.... if only.

Most people in deepest Somerset don't even earn this in two years

£40k is way above the average according to Govt stats.

I was amazed to find as per usual after visiting Staines/Heathrow area there seems to be very little sign of recession there....I used to work there some 10yrs ago....nothing changes in the South East. Plenty of public sector jobs losses are filtering thru in my area and in Bristol now and into next year from my own knowledge though but I suppose these people wouldn't get nice Audi S line models as their company cars..  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:33:27 pm by Msportman »
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=me894m6pm7e1asrt2a7kc4m816&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2011, 10:26:36 pm »

That's a small mortgage to pay off!!

Its a nice cardboard box though!  :signLOL:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2011, 10:35:45 pm »
My house is so big I'd have to go and buy a fish-eye lens to take a photo of it to show you! :P

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2011, 10:42:43 pm »

I was amazed to find as per usual after visiting Staines/Heathrow area there seems to be very little sign of recession there....I used to work there some 10yrs ago....nothing changes in the South East. Plenty of public sector jobs losses are filtering thru in my area and in Bristol now and into next year from my own knowledge though but I suppose these people wouldn't get nice Audi S line models as their company cars.. 

Sounds like you made a similar move to me. I lived in Berks, Bucks, Surrey etc and moved to Wiltshire a few years back. Love it down this way now and would never go back to the South East. I've worked at Heathrow, West London, Slough etc, too. Houses are super cheap in the town I live in. We sold a 2 bed semi in Buckinghamshire and bought a 4 bed detached with double garage in Wilts without increasing our mortgage!

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »

Sounds like you made a similar move to me. I lived in Berks, Bucks, Surrey etc and moved to Wiltshire a few years back. Love it down this way now and would never go back to the South East. I've worked at Heathrow, West London, Slough etc, too. Houses are super cheap in the town I live in. We sold a 2 bed semi in Buckinghamshire and bought a 4 bed detached with double garage in Wilts without increasing our mortgage!

Good move.....same for me.

Got a nice property which would cost over £350 in Staines/Egham area. I used to live in Woking and travelled into London but can't imagine buying a 4 bed even back then they wanted £300k++.

I hate mortgages and hope to pay mine off at 50....will concentrate on a newer cvar maybe in a few years time. There is such a gap in earnings in different parts of the country. I suppose Wentworth, Staines, Weybridge Surrey and the London areas are the most wealthy in GB.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:56:29 pm by Msportman »

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07:48 pm »
MrsP and I couldn't believe our luck when we were house hunting. We bought new and when we went into the sales office and asked what they had for around £300K they said they didn't have anything that expensive! We looked at the biggest house they had and decided it was too big, so we bought a slightly smaller one and ticked all the option boxes instead.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2011, 11:13:19 pm »
They are nice... but they dont feel quick at all!

Look at the 0-60's here -

http://www.oettinger.de/en/product-88/volkswagen-1/golf_5-23/engine_tuning-1/2_0_tfsi_169_kw_230_ps_243_kw_330_ps_gti_edition_30-212.html

http://www.oettinger.de/en/product-88/audi-2/a5_s5-51/engine_tuning-1/3_0_tdi_176_kw_240_ps_210_kw_285_ps-463.html

Standard 3.0 TDi A5 is the same as a 330PS Ed30

You might need to get your Butt Dyno calibrated  :evilgrin: :signLOL:

I know the figures... i'm just going on having driven my dads a fair bit.  They just don't seems quick, i think its because they are so effortless due to the 4million nm of torque. My ed30 feels quicker than his 3.0TDI a5.

Ive yet to have a race with him  :innocent:

Ed30's stock are faster than stock figures report.

This was my first stab at the 1/4 mile at inters in 2007. Totally stock.

Should read 0-60mph though :laugh:

Golf R gone.

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2011, 08:09:46 pm »

I am looking for a job in the South West to move back to Bath, looking for jobs with as much as £35k less than my current role...... bugger all out there...

It's very interesting the feedback so far. I moved from potentially spending £40k to replace a stolen M3 and spent £16k on a Pirelli. I looked at late M5's, another M3 and Porka's. Then  I drove a totally unaffordable 997 genII GT3........ want, lust, desire..... so my original plan was the golf and save. But now I'm thinking perhaps 18m in the Golf then a secondhand 1M and spend more hard earned on reducing the Mortgage so life is less of a struggle

I'm drinking a glass of £5.99 wine as I type which wouldn't have been the case 18m ago  :ashamed:

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2011, 10:54:07 pm »

I am looking for a job in the South West to move back to Bath, looking for jobs with as much as £35k less than my current role...... bugger all out there...

It's very interesting the feedback so far. I moved from potentially spending £40k to replace a stolen M3 and spent £16k on a Pirelli. I looked at late M5's, another M3 and Porka's. Then  I drove a totally unaffordable 997 genII GT3........ want, lust, desire..... so my original plan was the golf and save. But now I'm thinking perhaps 18m in the Golf then a secondhand 1M and spend more hard earned on reducing the Mortgage so life is less of a struggle

I'm drinking a glass of £5.99 wine as I type which wouldn't have been the case 18m ago  :ashamed:

£35k than you currently earn!!  Where do you work?

Jobs earning big salaries are mostly internally advertised in most cases.

We were only talking at work the other day that to make real strides in take home after tax  have to be on at least £70-100k.
Not many jobs floating around like that these days unless your in banking/solicitor GP etc.....

The average salary in my town in between £13-£18k!!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2011, 12:46:07 am »
I'd get married again... best money I ever spent.

On a serious note, I've been beaten to it. Probably a remapped A5 3.0 TDi or a Golf R with change to put towards the mortgage tuning it. That said, I've gotten very bored of simply not being able to safely/legally enjoy my R on the road lately, so perhaps it would be GTD for work and something fun for the weekends/track.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2011, 06:33:02 am »

£35k than you currently earn!!  Where do you work?

Jobs earning big salaries are mostly internally advertised in most cases.

We were only talking at work the other day that to make real strides in take home after tax  have to be on at least £70-100k.
Not many jobs floating around like that these days unless your in banking/solicitor GP etc.....

The average salary in my town in between £13-£18k!!

I am probably a bit older than most on here. My first job after Uni started at £10k, but that was a while ago...... I am not sure what I could survive on tbh, but I can tell you with no debt other than my current mortgage interest it's not £18k !

I'd have no money for an ice cream let alone Shell V-max  :confused: